Cornbread, whats the hype?

Dennis-The cornbread you made is perfect for making cornbread dressing. For cornbread a bit crispy and chewy:
1 1/2 Cup Plain Corn Meal
1 1/2 Cup Buttermilk (or more0
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
3/4 tsp. Salt

Mix the above to make a batter, but don't overmix. You may add a bit more buttermilk depending on the moisture level of the corn meal.

Heat a greased cast iron skillet st 425 until it is hot. Test it by throwing a sprinkle of water in the pan-it should sizzle and steam immediately. This mixture will work well with a 10" skillet. The thickness of the cornbread will be determined by the skillet. You can adjust the mixture up or down without being precise.
Pour the mixture into the skillet and it will be done in 25-35 minutes. You'll know it's done because it will pull away from the sides of the skillet.
Remove from oven and wrap a dish cloth that you wet with cold water around the handle. I usually soak and wrap the dish cloth several times.
It's a lot like cooking a butt-no set rules-you'll get the hang of it.

Originally posted by Wolgast:
...What do you think the americans would say if you served them a "semla" or "Rotmos"?
icon_confused.gif

Or just make a semla out of Cornbread might be a new Hype
icon_biggrin.gif

OK, this is a little of a branch-off of the topic, but:

The "Semla" - if I looked it up correctly, seems like something akin to an almond-flavored cream puff - so, us Americans would probably like it. I've seen some local "old-school" diners where something similar to these are called "kneecaps".

The "Rotmos" (If it's what is described in the link below) sounds a bit more "exotic". If it has the mashed Rutabaga, some of us from Germanic and/or Polish ancestries may enjoy it, while others may find it a little bitter. If it is the stuff served with spiced ham hocks, then the combination may actually be delish!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F...l%C3%A4gg_med_rotmos

I like the Plain Yellow Corn Meal because it has a nice, sweet corn taste. The self-rising corn meals will work, but it's akin to cooking a butt in the oven.

Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Jeff, what brand meal do you use...where do you get it?
I like the House-Autry Yellow Plain Corn Meal because it has a sweet taste like corn on the cob. It's available at Harris Teeter and Bi-Lo. I'm seasoning a 100 yr. old cast iron skillet right now to use tomorrow. It cleaned up really nice.

Love this one.
HEYWOOD’S JALAPENO CORNBREAD

3 eggs ¼ cup oil
8 oz sour cream 1 16 oz can cream corn
½ tsp baking soda 1 ½ cups chopped green onion
1 tsp salt 1 ¼ cup yellow corn meal (plain)
3 jalapenos diced 8 oz Monterey jack cheese
4 oz jalapeno cheese

I like to mix the wet ingredients first, then the dry and combine. Place cast iron skillet and the ¼ cup of oil in a 375 oven to preheat.

Wet ingredients

Slightly beat the eggs. Add sour cream, onions, peppers, and the cream corn.

Grate cheese and mix together. Add 2/3 of cheese to wet mixture.

Dry Ingredients

Combine Corn meal, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl a mix well.

Pour wet ingredients into the dry and mix well. I like to use a rubber spatula for this.

Pour hot oil from the preheated skillet into mixture stirring rapidly to melt cheese then pour mixture into hot skillet and top with remaining 1/3 cheese and bake 40 minutes until browned slightly and passes the toothpick test.

There is NO or very little sugar in proper cornbread. It should almost always be served with some sort of beans. It should be cooked in iron. It is certainly acceptable to dip the cornbread in the beans...especially white beans.

So sayeth the Southerner.

Do many of you prefer NO Egg cornbread? That was my father n laws thing. I agreed with him on most everything...but I still prefer an egg in it.

Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Do many of you prefer NO Egg cornbread? That was my father n laws thing. I agreed with him on most everything...but I still prefer an egg in it.

I'm in the NO EGG group. I think it has a more distinct corn taste without the extra cake like rise from the egg.

Another no-egg type.

Also, southerners have two versions of cornbread, baked and fried. I was raised on fried cornbread; fine ground cornmeal prepared with water or milk, and shape into a ~1 inch thick round patty covering the bottom of a 10 inch casted iron skillet, and fried on the stove top in the iron skillet while floating on a thin layer of grease or oil. It is closer to hushy puppies than the baked cornbread.

Baked was what you got for lunch at school and what my wife always fixes.

I used to deer hunt with three guys from down south. They thought they made the best cornbread. I thought it was awful. They liked kinda dry and very corn flavored. I like the sweet style (cake like) with fresh sweet corn cut off the cob added. I think it's like anything else. Where you are from or what you like. I think the sweet recipes go hand and hand with BBQ, Ken

I am with you Ken. I don't like it dry and I prefer a mild sweetness. Of course, I am simply not a big fan regardless. I am, however, a fan of jalapenos - God's gift to life - so I will have to try Edwin's recipe.

Originally posted by Charles Howse:
That's pretty good lookin' cornbread, but you haven't lived till you've had Keri's Blue Ribbon Cornbread.
Make it EXACTLY like the recipe.

It's the cat's pajamas!
Yes, Def, My Fav corn bread recipe/go to corn bread recipe, Hell it's the only corn bread I make! Why you ask? cause it's the best, PERIOD!!!
icon_wink.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for posting it Keri.
icon_cool.gif

Back