corn on the cob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pat,
I've done corn twice on my WSM. The first time I left it on the top rack for 1 hour at 250 and it was too crunchy for my taste. Next time I left it on for 2 hours at 250 and it came out just the way my family likes it. Had a nice flavor also.
I was cooking some spares and put it on at the last couple of hours.
Dan

Pat,
I pulled off the loose shucks and trimmed the silks amd put them on the grill.
I only did 8 ears so cleaning them after cooking wasn't an issue.
Dan

Did corn for 50 on a smoker that shall remain nameless.

Open husk most of the way, leaving it attatched. Rub with flavored/seasoned butter (I prefer roasted red pepper butter with a touch of garlic, S&P) then close husk. Wrap in foil. A bit of prep, but a nice neat unit for the masses.

In my experience, it took 30-45 mins at about 300 or so to get all the corn to temp. I decide by the way it smells when it's done.

Make as much as you can, because people will beg for more.

A few years back I worked as a pilot, one afternoon another pilot walked into the break room and threw two ears with husks on into the microwave - he gave me one and I have been doing them that way ever since. They take a while to cool in the husk and it really helps with prep time.

Steve

Steve,
How long do you put the corn in the micro for? I want to try it.
Dan

I have a friend that used to bring fresh pulled sweet corn to work in season. We would
micro-wave for 2 to 3 mins. per ear in the shuck. Peel it back,rub with butter and chow down. Haven't thought about it for years but a couple of ears sure would be good about now. This forum is a terrible place for an old fat guy to visit. Happy smoking.
BG

Dan,

Just like Billy I do two minutes an ear, turning several times (no more than five work well in my microwave). Let them cool. They are really good this way and we don't even use butter, I think the husk puts in a nice sweet flavor.

They are a great snack at work but also great at home with dinner as there are no pots and pans.

Regards,
Steve

Another method that works well is to shuck the ear and remove the silks, wrap with a wet (not damp; wet) paper towel, and nuke for 3 minutes.

Steve

So this is an old topic, but new to me so I thought I'd post my experiences.

I wanted to do some corn on the cob at the end of my back rib cookout. I love roasted corn on my grill, but I hate tending it so the smoker seemed idea.

I got ten ears of white corn. Half of these I soaked in water (what I usually do for roasting it on the grill). The other half I pulled the husks back, removed the hair, buttered heavily, and then wrapped the husks back on with foil.

I cooked the ribs on the bottom rack. When I opend the smoker to turn them, I added the top rack with the corn on it. It ended up staying on for almost two hours at 225-250 (I wanted it hotter, but it was windy).

The results? The buttered corn was awesome. Ever so slightly overdone, but still wonderful. I suspect that if I followed some of the flavoring suggestions here, it would be even better. The soaked corn was actually underdone. It was ok, but it didn't compare to the other.

I think that the difference was the foil more than the butter. The soaked corn had dried out. I think that the low and slow heat took the moisture out before enough heat could penetrate.

Another important thing was serving it. Because the soaked corn still had the hair on it, I felt like I should clean it before bringing it to the table. This resulted in it being too cold. The foil wrapped corn was the perfect temp.

Foil wrapped is the way to go in my opinion. Now to go wrangle some flavored butter...

-Ernie

Here is a great sweet corn recipe. Place an ear of sweet corn on a dampen paper towel.Dampen the paper towel with red wine or water.Brush buter on the corn and then add brown sugar to taste and freshed chopped garlic.Roll corn up in paper towling and then roll up in aluminum foil.On a regular grill about 20 minutes turning once or twice.On the weber bulley about an hour.HAPPY BBQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back