Corn Cob instead of wood?

KevinK

TVWBB Member
Last night, I saw an episode of Good Eats where AB dropped a corn cob (without kernels) into the grill (directly on the flame) and mentioned that it's as good as any wood for flavoring meat.

I'm skeptical, but also curious if anyone else had heard of this or has first hand experience.

Yes, I saw that episode too. I want to try that. I'm sure it will 'Smell' very good, as well as 'taste" good.

I have used corn cobs a lot for smoking fish. An old native american told me about the corn cobs. It gives it light smoke and doesn't over power the fish. I can highly recommend the use of corn cobs. I never soaked mine but I crushed them up being I use a propane fired smoker and started out with a electric smoker.

icon_eek.gif
Really!? Corn cobs as smoke wood? Living in northern Iowa, and it being just after harvest, I belive I could find a corn cob here or there
icon_wink.gif
Any recomendations? I see its good for fish, what about poultry?

Brandon

Anybody else have experience with corn cobs as the smoke "wood"?
Somewhere I saw a comparison to popcorn, and I'm curious.

I did it once a few years back grilling some chicken. It was delicious smelling, and I would do it again. However the short time of the grilling didn't really allow for a great deal of smoke penetration. So, the cook smelled delicious, the food tasted delicious, but I don't know to what extent the corn cobs contributed to that.

One of these days I will use some for a long slow BBQ, and see how it turns out.

The smoke is a deliciously sweet smelling component though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon A:
I see its good for fish, what about poultry?
Brandon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
They really do smell great burning. Yes to fish, poultry, veggies, cheese, or anywhere where a lite, delicate, smoke flavor is desired. Bet they would work very well on some ribs where you wanted the rub to really come through for you. HTH

I think this year (this post is from last) I will wonder out in the corn fields and collect a few corn cobs, probably just fill a small garbage bag full. I'll report back on my findings. The corn isn't quite ready yet, but the beans are comming out in a hurry. Anyone want some corn cobs through UPS? LOL

Brandon

Back