Copper Damper Questions

Tony Catencamp

TVWBB Member
I built a pickle pot smoker as seen here: http://vanwinkleheads.blogspot.com/. It is a little smaller with regards to cooking capacity when compared to my WSM, with two 15.5" racks. The air coming into the bottom pot is controlled through a pot lid with a screw through the center. I have copper sheet that I would like to use for the top damper. My first question is, is it safe to use copper for this application? I'm thinking in regards to toxins. I can't think of why not. My second question has to do with air flow through the top. The top has four 1" holes. I was thinking that I would only drill out two of the holes in the copper sheet and leave the other two alone, loosely based on the venting ratio of the WSM.

What do you guys think about opening up two versus four holes in the top? I just want to make sure that smoking in this thing will produce good, clean smoke. Therefore, I am kind of leaning towards four holes and keeping the temperature down through the bottom damper.

Thanks for any advice,
Tony

2 holes you can always add later.

Copper bottom pans. Copper in stills. Copper pipe in your house, Should be ok but I am not an expert.

Back