Cooking under a canopy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve G.

TVWBB Member
I have read several posts about cooking in the rain, but have not seen anyone comment on cooking under a canopy. It seems that the shade would help keep the lid from getting too hot in the Texas heat, and would do a fine job keeping the WSM dry in the rain, but my concern is the heat coming out of the WSM and if it would damage the canopy. I saw someone put a canopy over a large off-set smoker pit one time and the heat burned through the cover. I wouldn't want to ruin my canopy, but it would sure help me out this time of year for both rain and heat.

Any experience with this?

I don't know how hot your run your WSM
icon_smile.gif
but I can hold my hand within a couple of inches of the top vent while it's doin' its thing. If you can stand under the canopy, it won't get overheated by the WSM.

I've got the same question. Intuition is telling me it shouldn't be a problem as I don't think there's that much heat coming out of the top of the WSM. Some around the sides.

I've found that the metal frame of my hammock layed on its side, with some plywood and tarps can offer a good windbreak/rain guard. AND if the weather is cooperating, string the hammock up and enjoy a little mid-afternoon snooze.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Steve G....I saw someone put a canopy over a large off-set smoker pit one time and the heat burned through the cover. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gee, How low was the canopy?....Of course, it was a large Off-set smoker...probably had a tall stack.

I can't imagine the WSM generating that much heat.

I've used a market umbrella about 6 feet tall for a couple years now. The sun is going to wear it out, but it doesn't appear the WSM is having any effect.

I have a 9 ft. patio unbrella that I use for sun and rain. It's been 3 yrs. and no ill effects to the material on the unbrella. I've had 2 water smokers under it at the same time and the heat isn't enought to harm the unbrella. On a windless day you might get a smokey odor in the material, which dissipates in a day if left open.

Well, your replies are really as I expected. I don't think it will have a problem, but I just wanted to see if ANYONE had had a bad experience trying this.

The canopy over the off-set smoker I mentioned was probably about 7ft. high and the stack was probably a few feet below it. Not so close that I would have thought it would have done the damage that it did.

I thought about getting the EZ Cover canopy. Depending on what site you hit it ranged anywhere from $400+ to $178 at BJ'S wholesale club. The one at BJ'S has 4 zipdown walls that look like it would act as a great windbreak aside from the top stopping the rain and possibly snow!

Here is a link to the mid-priced version. This one also comes with the zipdown walls as well. Going to try to see if my wife will let me get it. Also looks like it will double as a cooking shelter for competitions!

Anyone use something like this at home??

If that thing really has four walls, be careful not to asphyxiate yerself. Yer brisket is BOUND to dry out as you're lying there unconscious...

Hi All,

I have what has to be the cheapest framed canopy on the market-I baught it at the local Ace for under $15. Got tired of all this rain messing with my schedule. The top of it looks to be made from 4 plies of trash bag plastic. It however has stood up well to about 6 cooks this year. The heat coming off the pitt seems to have no effect on it. I dont light the chimney under it though.

Arthur

I have two canopies, a 10x10 and a 12x12. The 12x12 is an EZ-Up http://www.ezup.com/default.htm brand very similar to the one in Greg's link, but without the walls. I paid $100 for it at Academy. It is VERY well made. The frame is completely put together and all you have to do is spread it open and snap a few pieces in place by sliding them up the legs of the frame until they latch....takes less than a minute to set up or take down.

I cook under a canopy all the time. At comps and at home. I have a 10X10 ez-up and a 10X20 Hercules. I park both my Jed clone and WSM onder the camopys and no fire yet. Would have to be pretty darn hot for a WSM to melt a canopy. Unless it's only put up four foot off the ground.

My only caution would be to watch for ashes when you are lighting charcoal in a chimney-especially lump--and when you pour it into the charcoal ring. Those sparkly ashes can put pinholes into your canopy quicker than you can brush them off

Target is advertising a canopy on sale for $24.99. It's fairly simple, no walls, but it'll offer good protection from the rain.

I had my first cook yesterday with my WSM. It was terrible weather for barbequing. Thunderstorms & rain all day. I used a Caravan canopy that you can get for less than $130.

Here is a link to the canopy.

Here is a picture of how I used it:

cookout.jpg

In the heavy rains I had it all the way to the lowest level as pictured and this helped prevent the wind from catching the canopy. In the lighter rains, we would increase the height and pull some chairs up.

It worked great and the ribs are the Best ribs I have ever had in my life!!! And we live in Memphis! Thanks to everybody on this board for the advice and Chris's description of the BRITU Ribs!

Chris

Had my two WSMs under an EZUP 10x10 this weekend. 3 walls were up too. Had some SERIOUS storms come through early Saturday morning. Cookers and canopy worked great.

I used my canopy this weekend as well. There was a threat of rain, but never had any. It worked just fine...although I did have a panic attack sitting in church (while my ribs were cooking at home) of 'what if ashes fly up and catch the canopy on fire and burn the house down?' Maybe it was a good thing I was at church and not on the golf course.
icon_wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back