Cooking Topics

I do those cooks and then photograph and write about them. For the most part, I write about things that I have enjoyed doing. When it comes to chicken, I like to do both white and dark meat. Maybe someday I'll do a thighs article, but that's not something I typically cook all by itself.

Thanks for the suggestion,
Chris

A little off subject but years ago before hormones really took over I always cooked whole chicken. But not anymore. The breast meats tastes way too dry and not much fat exists on a whole bird. So now I've switched to cooking just the legs and thighs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tjkoko:
A little off subject but years ago before hormones really took over... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hopefully not. According to the USDA, no hormones or steroids are used in the production of chicken in the U.S.

Maybe imported chickens from China?
icon_wink.gif

Regards,
Chris

Funny, there seems to be way less meat on chickens than 30 years ago. Also if you note carefully where the tibia (leg bone) meet the femur (thigh bone), there's a lot of redness within the bones itself at the joint - a definite sign of hormone/antibiotic raised birds. And believe me, chicken ain't the same as way back when, NO WAY.

Birds back then were more substantial.

Kind of funny the subject of poultry quality was brought up. I was recently cooking with my 97 year old grandma (apparently I am to learn the family pasty recipe before she is "dead and gone"). Anyway, I was asking her about the ol' days when she used to go to the butcher shop, etc...she kept going on and on about how much better chicken is nowadays (she doesn't have to remove the neck, it's not bruised up, you're sure nobody's sneaking an old hen in on you, etc.
icon_smile.gif
). It was really interesting. The other interesting thing? The only thing she misses about butchers is the fact that she can't get suet anymore. I was like "grandma, a lot of people want to go to butchers nowadays...they're kind of making a comeback." Her response? "Let them shop for a family of 4 for awhile...they'll be glad they don't have to run all over town for groceries."
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tjkoko:
...chicken ain't the same as way back when, NO WAY.

Birds back then were more substantial. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No doubt. But probably not due to hormones or antibiotics.

Age at slaughter is the cause of the redness you refer to within/around the bones. See Bloody Chicken for details.

Age at slaughter and breed of chicken affect size of chicken, meat on the bone, and the "substantial"-ness you refer to. Agribusiness does not raise the same breeds they did 30 years ago. They're raising a limited number of breeds that produce the most chicken for the least feed and cost, and are most tender but perhaps lacking flavor.

Today, Grandma's chickens are known as "heritage chickens", like Buttercups, Brown Leghorns, Hamburgs, Anconas, Sumatra, etc. You won't find these at the grocery store...see Heritage Chickens.

Regards,
Chris

Chris:

A few years ago (and I haven't the url) an article stated what I posted. I'll try to find it. But you're probably correct in what's happening now regarding heritage chickens. My biggest disappointment is with the roasting hens.

During the 19'th century in Austria it wasn't how well the homeowner could cook beef or lamb. Rather, it was how well the person could prepare a chicken - Time/Life book entitled COOKING OF THE VIENNESE EMPIRE. Very gourmet I might add.

Back