Cooking Times Delayed

John Willems

TVWBB Member
when I get my mini built I would like to smoke a brisket at K-State football game for my friends. Only 1 problem, parking lot opens 5 hours before game starts. Could I cook the brisket at home, maybe 10hrs & let it cool off & wrap it up. On Sat could I finish the brisket at the game or would it be better to smoke it fully at home & just reheat it at the game. I'm new so take it easy on Me. john

Actually, you can interrupt the cooking process. I know a couple of competition teams that do just that. They will cook a brisket or butt to say 140, pull it, wrap it up, and go to bed. Then they will get up early to finish off the cook.

You could very easily get the brisket up to say 175-180 internal or so at home, then wrap it up real good and put it in a cooler. Then when you get to the lot, fire up the cooker, and put the meat back in. You should be able to go from 170-175 up to finish in 5 hours. If it starts to get close, then run the cooker temp up a bit.

You'd be a tailgate hero to pull that off. Fresh smoked brisket sammies would be winner.

Russ

When I put foiled brisket in the Cooler how long will it stay warm. Do I need to put some hot bricks in bottom or what? Dont want meat to spoil. John

If the meat is only going to be in the cooler for an hour or two then just put it in an aluminum pan and cover in foil, then wrap that in a couple of old towels. It will stay safe (>140 degs) for quite a while. I've never found a need to put hot bricks or anything like that in with the meat. Although I did pre-heat the cooler with boiling water once or twice at a comp because the hold time was going to be a lot longer than planned.

Russ

What I'm thinking of doing is, I might Smoke the brisket all the way at Home. Cut in Half, slice one half & Chop the other half & reheat both in two Cast Iron Dutch Ovens at the Football Game. The chopped half soaked in BBQ Sauce. The Sliced Half to eat with corn on cob & beans. John

Back