Cooking Time

Those are smoke range temps. I’d bet at least 4.5 hours and maybe up to 5.5 hours. Low and slow will keep your meat super moist. Just the skin will be chewy as you’ll never render that fat layer below the skin and atop the meat.

Cooking time/temp estimates here:

I've cooked all my turkeys on the WSM at around 325-350*F. Many examples here, you just need to build a hot fire with all coals ashed over and no water in the pan.

Did this with a chicken last night and it was amazing. I could not believe how moist it was, yet it had nice crunchy skin. Its like the wsm gets hot enough to sear the skin a bit, but the unit stays humid with no water pan. Some type of voodoo going on in there.

Cooking time/temp estimates here:

I've cooked all my turkeys on the WSM at around 325-350*F. Many examples here, you just need to build a hot fire with all coals ashed over and no water in the pan.

Yep. This guide is rock solid. My go to.

My neighbor dropped off a bird for me last night! Can't say no to a free turkey! A nice 13#er.... My first thought was onto the 18WSM she goes --- but I'm thinking that it may work better on the kettle spatched out - I'm pretty sure it should fit nicely without being too close to the coal basket - it would be easier to get the higher 300+ temps on the kettle - thinking I can start it lower with lots of smoke and then add some heat to finish it off with some good skin.

Resized_20231116_194850_1169.jpeg

What I find surprising is that in the directions on the package it says to cook 'until the BREAST reaches 185' !!!!!
I'm kinda puzzled by that...... It does say that it contains up to 9.5% broth/solution --- I don't know if that should really make that much of a difference....?...?

I'm thinking with that much injection, it should be pretty safe on the kettle spatched and running on the hotter side.... Not too worried about time for this one - but I'm thinking its still in the 3.5 hour range spatched.

Back