Cooking Three Butts

Doug KC

TVWBB Fan
I've never cooked more than one butt on my WSM. On Friday I'll be cooking for a decent size group and will be putting in 3 butts that range from 6 - 8 lbs.

I am coming to the professors to seek advice on what I can expect to be different. How much more time should I expect it take compared to one? Do I need to rotate them? Any other suggestions?

wsmsmile8gm.gif

Go ahead and fill her up with 4 butts since you have the room and you will have leftovers to send home for your friends. That always is a hit. Figure at least 18- 20 hours cook time at 230 or so.

The main difference is getting the larger mass of cold meat up to temp-that can easilly add an hour or so to the usual cook times.

Since it will take a large, cold mass so long to get up to temp, I would be sure they are at room temp before putting them on. Perhaps start with hot water in the pan so your fuel won't have to initially heat the water.

My guess on finish time would be around 18 hours.

Paul

Room temp meat, hot water in the pan, all good advice. Myself, I would start with more lit fuel also to help it get up to temps faster. For example, if you are using Kingsford, if you would "normally" start with 15 lit coals, start with 5-7 more.
Smaller ones on the bottom rack also is best. Don't sweat it, cooking extra butts isn't really a big deal. I've had 5 in there more than a few times.

Thanks guys! I'm glad I asked b/c I wasn't planning on it taking that long!

This site is a gold mine for a beginner like me.
icon_biggrin.gif

While it's entirely possible, I don't think it's going to take 2½-3 hours per pound, or at least it need not. I'd take the meat out of the refrigerator just before lighting about half a Weber chimney to start things MM with a totally full charcoal ring, put hot water in the pan to start, and shoot for a 250° cooking temp, measured at the top grate. Don't replenish the water pan after breaking the plateau, and let it run 275° or so down the home stretch. You might be done in 12-13 hours that way.

Thanks for the tip Doug. I was hoping it would only take that long. What do you exactly mean by plateau? Is it when the meat temp starts to rise ever so slowly? If that's it, what temp is it usually for you?

Usually in the mid- to upper-160's. Some also report experiencing a second, shorter one in the 180's.

I thought of another question. What about spraying/mopping? When I cook one butt I spray every couple hours with apple juice. Should change that to maybe every 4-6 hours or should I even spray at all?

Doug, put them on and let them rip. Once they are on I don't open the lid until they are close to being done. I don't believe basting or mopping adds anything to butts. Since you are going to shred them anyway. When I shred I put on more of my rub and one of Steve Petrone's vinegar sauces. OR you can inject which is a whole 'nother deal.

Thanks Paul. I do inject mine so I think I'll try your method and 'let 'er rip'! I was afraid opening and basting would add a lot of time on to the cook. Leaving the lid on should minimize the cook time. I'd like to keep it under 18 hours.

I don't even think of taking the lid off the first 10 hours or so. I don't spray/baste to often anymore. If I am cooking for the guys at work, I will do a quick spray, then dust on more rub at about the 10 hr mark.
I keep one probe in the butt on the bottom rack, one in the smaller of the 2 on the top rack.

It's not critical on a butt. 225-275 or anywhere in between will give you more than acceptable results.

DougKC- The guys have given you some 'very' good advice. The only thing that I will add is that I don't use water in the water pan. (Actually, I will never go back to using water in the water pan) I double foil the pan and continue as is. The smoker temperatures are more consistent, meat has a better smoke ring, and best of all: Clean up is quick and easy!

But I do spray the butts with apple juice ever hour after 10 hours until the butts are done.

Also, since your smokin' 3 or 4 butts, be sure to check EACH butt INDIVIDUALLY for correct temperature. (just don't check one butt and assume the other are done)

Travis

After having used my WSM for a couple years now I think cooking one butt or brisket (or equiv meat mass) on the top rack only is the OPTIMAL configuration.

This is not to say you can't do more but if you do more and especially if you use a 'middle' rack (via soupcan etc) airflow and internal heat/smoke distribution can become a factor and it becomes a good idea to plan to flip/rotate the meat several times through the cook.

Earlier this year I did two butts on top and a small brisket flat on each of the middle and bottom racks. I was suprised to find the temp probe was reading in excess of 25F lower in the top center between the butts than in my normal monitoring location on the top rack inside the water pan vertical edge.

Since I usually load up the WSM to capacity, no wonder so many of my cooks have been in excess of 16 hours.

Shawn,

I was tying to avoid this, but that is another good reason to have a temp control device. The forced air movement helps keep things more balanced IMO, and gets the WSM up to temps a lot quicker when packed full of beast.

Back