Cooking Multiple Pork Butts

Bob James

Hi folks! I'm cooking for a crowd next month and would like to make pulled pork sammies. (For about 30 people.) Most pork butt reciepes I've read talk about 90 minutes or so per pound for a single 6-8 lb butt @ 250* or so in a WSM. Can anyone give me an idea of how that timing would change if I did four of them at once? Thanks! - Bob

You might have a 90 min/lb cook, you might not. It will depend on actual temps, temp of the butts going in, etc. Multiple-butt cookd do not take appreciably longer. There can be a bit more time needed because of the larger mass of meat, but cook times are dramatically different.

At low temps, most people figure closer to 2 hrs/lb. Even if it works out to a shorter cook, butts hold well. One should plan for adequate cook and hold time regardless, so as not to stress out about it during the cook.

Kevin's correct - cook time depends on many factors.

Anymore, if I'm cooking butts, I always cook 4. I like roasts between 8 & 9lbs.

Three weeks ago, I put 4 butts on at about 10:30 p.m. All four were finished by around noon the next day. I used the MM, large water pan, smoked with a combination of hickory and cherry. The temps were pretty stable at around 250 - 260 (lid temp).

If you insulate them real well you can hold butts for a long time before pulling. With this particular cook, I was pushing 11 hours with temps above 140.

Regarding your question of cook time for 2 vs 4 - my experience is both. I've cooked 2 for longer periods than 4 - just depends on the different factors.

I don't believe in firing up the WSM unless it's full. Vacuum seal and freeze the leftovers - you'll never tell the difference.

One thing I've done before too is cook them to an internal temp of 175-180 a few hours ahead of time, and then foil the butt and set it in an empty cooler. After another 4 hrs or so, she's ready to go, but it also allows you more flexibility in the timing the cook with other foods, people coming, etc.

Back