Cooking in North Pole, Alaska; COLD!!

Dan Gilson

TVWBB Fan
We had a potluck lunch at work today and everyone requested that I bring pulled pork. It was a big success!! There were some folks visiting from North Carolina and they said it was outstanding. I even had a couple soldiers tell me it was better than the local BBQ Joint. Needless to say, I was pleased!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

We have been having a bit of a cold spell with temps hanging between -20 and -30f. The forecast was calling for temps between 5 below and 5 above on Sunday so I decided I would wait until Sunday to cook. Because I was teaching college classes this weekend I decided I would cook the pork butts (2) overnight and pull them off this morning. Well the temps were hanging around 25 below when I got home Sunday evening but I had to cook anyway.

I had prepped the butts on Saturday night with a mustard slather and a healthy dose of rub. I got my WSM set up with my stoker and filled the fire ring with Royal Oak briquets (the only lump I can get around here in the winter is cowboy and I didn't think that would last all night). I filled a chimney with Hickory chunks and lit it. When the chunks were burned down pretty good I poured them on top of the briquets and closed up the WSM. I finally got the meat on and everything closed up about 6:00pm. Because I knew I was short on time I set the stoker to keep the temps at 250 and then I wrapped the WSM with Reflectix insulation (basically an aluminum foil clad bubble wrap) to help retain heat.

To my surprise the temps in the WSM shot up to 275. The Stoker seemed to be working properly and I couldn't find any air leaks so I took the reflectix jacket off and the temps stabilized. I was worried that the fuel would burn out without the jacket so I put it back on and the temps shot up again. I took the jacket off and put it back on several times to experiment and found that when I put the jacket on the temps would climb about 10 degrees in about 15 minutes and it would take about 15 minutes for the temps to drop without the jacket. About 11:30pm I decided to leave the jacket off and add more charcoal and a couple chunks of hickory. I dropped the temp 240 and went to bed about midnight. The outside temps were around 25 below. I woke up and checked the WSM at 01:30am and everthing was going fine. The meat temp was about 170.

I got up at 04:00am to pull the meat. The WSM was still running about 240 but the meat had only reached 180. I put the jacket back on and the temps shot up to around 280. I left it there and pulled the meat at 04:45. The meat temp was 185. The outdoor temp was 25 below. I wrapped the meat in foil and placed it a cooler. By 05:30am I had both butts pulled and ready to go to work. I wish I had more time to let them rest but "thems the breaks"!!

In retrospect, I think everything would have worked fine if I had put the insulation on first and then used the stoker to bring the temps up but I brought the temp up first then insulated. Good lesson to remember for the next time I cook in the cold!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We have been having a bit of a cold spell with temps hanging between -20 and -30f. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow - that is cold! And I was bitching today because it was only 28 degreees F here!
Brrrrr!

Ray

Dan, you won't hear me complaining tomorrow when I'm smoking my turkey that it's a little chilly out and I might need long sleeves. Our forecast is for mid-70s and sunshine...hmmm you'd probably consider my pool still swimable at its current temp of 64! BRRRRR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan Gilson:
Ray,

When it's -20*f in January you will hear us say "It's warming up outside."!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dan - where id you get the Reflectix insulation and is it easily available? I live in Colorado - and am making a jacket out of a welding blanket – but if I could beef it up with some insulation I think it would be very cool!

Mike,

I picked up the Reflectix at Lowe's. I paid roughly $25.00 for a roll that was about 3 feet wide. I don't remember how long the roll was but if I had to guess I would say 25' long. let me know how your jacket turns out. I was actually looking for a welding blanket but couldn't find one as all of the welding supply shops around here are closed on weekends.

Dan - I picked up some Reflectix on my way home - I got the welding blanket from Harbor Freight for $17. I'm going to cut 4 bullet shaped panels, line them with the Reflectix, stitch them up, join the Reflectix with aluminum tape. Once that is done - I'll position the jacket and cut out hole for the top vent and insert some type of stack (like a roof vent stack with a weather cap). I really think this will help me out with my wind problem more than cold.

But my smoker should be the best dressed WSM in Northern Colorado!

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Dan - It works great! I had a full pan of H2O and 2 vents at less than 25% and one completely closed and it was running at 235 constantly. Which is really unbelievable for Colorado (with 20 mph winds yesterday).

If you didn't see or smell the smoke you would have had no idea the WSM was hot. In fact it was cold to the touch on the sides and lid (opposite the vent). I did crank it up to 350 for fun and noticed that the plastic bubbles melted - but since I taped it off with aluminum tape everything was fine - just a little loss of loft.

I'm going to replace the insulation with a new layer and only use it under 250. I would recommend this to anyone in wind or cold temp zones.

Mike

Mike,

That sounds great!! Thanks for the test run and the info.
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

How heavy is the fabric of the welding blanket? If it's not too heavy I can use my wife's sewing machine!!

Did you use the stack or did you just leave a hole for the smoke to escape through?

Time for me to get on the harbor freight website and order a welding blanket!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Mike,

Good news!! The local Airgas store sells welding blanket material that is 40" wide and they will cut it to length. The cost is $10.38 per linear yard. I picked up three yards for $31.14. I am planning on making a jacket with a layer of reflectix sandwiched between two layers of welding blanket.

If all goes well this weekend I should be able to get it done. Now all I have to do is get my wife to let me use her sewing machine!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Dan,

Sounds good - let me know how it comes out. By the way - I asked my wife to do the sewing, I still have shoe lace marks on my rear (she hates to sew).

Don't forget to add a vent stack of some type, I have founds this to be a very helpful addition. I used a roof vent stack from home depot that was slightly larger in diameter than the vent disk and it rises 5" above the lid.

Back