Cooking in a Screened in porch?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi. I am a new smoker and about to buy a Weber Smokey Mountain grill. From my internet searches on what to buy etc, it looks as if the wsm is the way to go. Ok, I am convinced. Now the question. Can I use the Weber outside the house, but in a screened in porch (with a regular cieling. In other words, onlt the walls of the porch are screens and the cieling and floor are solid materials. Or, do I have to put it outside the house (and porch) on the grass? Thanks in advance.

Robert,
Good morning and welcome to the WSM Club. I sometimes use my WSM on my covered patio. It is
20'x20' with a concrete floor and wooden ceiling
like the rest of the house. The ceiling is a little higher than inside. I have 3 ceiling fans
also. I use this method if I want to cook and rain is predicted. I haven't had any problems.
I don't know how hot a wooden floor will get with the WSM working but a metal pan would probably eliminate this and help with cleanup. Hope this helped and good luck.
Pat Barnes /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Play it safe. Find a metal protective mat like the ones used for wood stoves. Place it under your WSM. Your insurance agent probably could relate some horror strories about charcoal cookers on wooden decks.

Have fun. It's a great hobby. It's better than fishing--when finish you finish, you always have something to eat.

willg

The cooker will generate a fair amount of smoke during the first 45-60 minutes, but not too much after that. I'd suggest that the first time you cook, do it outside, not on the porch. Then you'll have a better idea of whether you think it's appropriate for use on the screened porch.

Have fun,
Chris

/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Thanks a lot folks....I appreciate it.. from reading all you can do, it is a little bit overwelming and I am possibly making a mountain out of a molehole. I guess I will just go get one and take it a step at a time

Robert,
Don't be scared to cook. Start with something You can do in one day like a small(6lb)butt that will cook in about 8-10 hrs or some chickens. You'll fret over the WSM at first but soon you'll
be like the rest of us..light the Kingsford and
let the Bullet do it's thing. I smoked for 3 days
in a row last week(new fire each day). I did 4 ducks one day,a 7lb chicken and a pork loin the next and some Cajun Tasso the last. After the initial adjustments to the vents,I went off and did other things around the house and even ran some errands for a while.
It is that consistent at holding temp. One warning
though--under on circumstances should you invite anyone over for Q at a specific time on you first few cooks. Too much pressure and/or anxiety.
Pat

Robert,

Like Pat I also have a covered patio and I usually set my WSM right near the edge of the patio so the wind will carry the smoke away. One thing I have noticed, over time (say if you cook a couple times a week, it might take 3 months or so) the smoke will build up a layer on the ceiling/patio cover and you'll look up one day and your ceiling will be filthy. That may be hard to clean on a wood or sheet rock ceiling.
---------------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE

Here's a question for you experienced WSM-ers. I have a (not screened-in) patio cover, where I have my log-burner. On it, I have a piece of aluminum dryer hose to transfer the bulk of the smoke out from under the patio cover; I use it when it's raining or seriously threatening. Okay, it wouldn't be the end of the world if my WSM left some smoke residue on the underside of the cover, but how would it work if I ran a small fan to push the smoke/air out into the yard, instead of letting the natural air flow do its thing? I'm thinking about a small fan just to move the smoke out into the back yard, not a fan large enough to make a significant impact on the WSM.
Any thoughts?

-- Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back