Cooking grass fed meat versus grain fed

LinBerl,
Funny you would mention Prather Ranch in one post and Safeway in another. Prather ranch was started by the same man that is the founder of the Safeway chains. If organic beef is what you desire then Prather ranch brand really is your best bet. As a animal science student at Cal State Chico I had an opportunity to spend a day at the Prather ranch in MacDoel, CA. Prather Ranch wrote the book on organic beef. Really. They have been producing organic beef for decades. Their SOPs are written in the American medical journal since their primary product from their cattle is cologean (fat found between the hide and muscle) and used for such medical procedures as Botox injections. Meat is their secondary product and since the cologean was their primary product and used in humans it has to meet certain standards. Long story short Prather ranch wrote the book on organic beef and have been doing it for a long, long time.

The original post was asking about cooking grass feed beef...seems it has strayed from that a bit. Thought you organic beef folks might be interested in the Prather Ranch deal thus the reason I decided to respond. I am a beef producer and have enjoyed the information/misinformation in this thread. As a beef producer though I am glad you are buying BEEF regardless if it's corn fed, organic, grass fed or natural. IMO beef is superior to all other meats regardless of how it is finished. Save a fish...eat more BEEF!

Bob, I hadn't heard of Brandt beef although I live in California, so I looked them up and did a little research. Apparently they use GMO corn as part of their feed. bummer. SRF is fantastic, though. There is also Prather Ranch, Nieman, and Belcampo.

http://passionatefoodie.blogspot.com/2013/05/rant-brandt-beef-is-it-true-natural.html

Dustin, thanks for the interesting tidbit of info about how Prather started. Their meat really is awesome and worth every penny. A lot of my local restaurants use it as well. Getting back to cooking grass fed beef, my understanding of the advice is "very carefully". Lol.

LinBerl,
Funny you would mention Prather Ranch in one post and Safeway in another. Prather ranch was started by the same man that is the founder of the Safeway chains. If organic beef is what you desire then Prather ranch brand really is your best bet. As a animal science student at Cal State Chico I had an opportunity to spend a day at the Prather ranch in MacDoel, CA. Prather Ranch wrote the book on organic beef. Really. They have been producing organic beef for decades. Their SOPs are written in the American medical journal since their primary product from their cattle is cologean (fat found between the hide and muscle) and used for such medical procedures as Botox injections. Meat is their secondary product and since the cologean was their primary product and used in humans it has to meet certain standards. Long story short Prather ranch wrote the book on organic beef and have been doing it for a long, long time.

The original post was asking about cooking grass feed beef...seems it has strayed from that a bit. Thought you organic beef folks might be interested in the Prather Ranch deal thus the reason I decided to respond. I am a beef producer and have enjoyed the information/misinformation in this thread. As a beef producer though I am glad you are buying BEEF regardless if it's corn fed, organic, grass fed or natural. IMO beef is superior to all other meats regardless of how it is finished. Save a fish...eat more BEEF!

Back