Cooking Frozen Butts

Steven P.

put a bunch of frozen butts on last night at 6, they were supposed to be thawed when I picked them up but they were still frozen and I had to get them on.

now, 15 hours later, the surface temp is 140...

I have no idea how long the surface temp would have been in the unsafe zone, or how being frozen would affect this potential problem.

internal temps are also 140...I cooked at 225 all night long.

did i just waste 120 lbs of butts?

Steven, I cook frozen butts all the time. No big issue. Bump up your temps a little maybe to 250-270. I think the surface temps will be out of the 140 range soon so don't worry. Kevin knows more about the exact specifics of when and how long meat can be in that range. When the butts get to the point where you can insert a probe like a hot knife in butter they are done. Just keep on going . You're doing fine.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I cook all my butts frozen, rubbed with mustard and rub.

It probably adds a couple of hours, but the taste is always good. I've been averaging about 2 hours per lb with frozen butts at 240-260 lid temp.

Are yall saying you take a frozenbutt straight from the freezer and put it on the wsm? No thawing at all? Hmmmm, i might have to try that....2 extra hours of cook time vs 2 days of thawing out.....i like the time savings....

are they bone in or boneless?

bone in should be fine but I wouldn't cook large boneless butts frozen, especially at low temps

the difference is that boneless have the potential of having been contaminated inside from the bone being removed, then being in the danger zone inside the butt for many hours and creating the right environment for a problem with the right contaminants

as others have said I'd get the temp up and push them through at this point 275º - 325º

Back