Cooking four Boneless whole rib pieces

Darcy Poulin

Hello. I've been nominated to cook for an outdoor 'team building' exercise for the company I work for. It's for the entire IT department, and we're looking at feeding about 130 people...for lunch. Our local Costco sells cryovac'd Boneless whole ribs, which are about 14 pounds each. I thought I could cook four of these, and then throw some boneless chicken on the WSM, as per the recipe on the front page.

The meat is pretty expensive ($17/kg), but the company is paying, and they've told me that $500 in meat is fine. Would this be a good cut to cook high and fast, slice thin and serve on buns? Not everyone will want beef, so I thought I'd throw a bunch of chicken on as well. I was planning on putting the meat on at around 8AM, do you think it will be done by noon?

Sorry for the lack of detail, it's a whole prime rib roast, with the rib bones removed. Almost like a 14 pound rib roast I guess, but it's only 4 or 5" thick, maybe 8" wide, and 20" long. I was hoping to borrow a friends WSM, which would give me two of them, and cook all four on the smokers.

The packaging actually says 'Boneless Whole Rib', and you can see indents along the meat where rib bones once were.

Yup, high heat for sure, and it will be DELICIOUS! I've debated buying one several times, just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Do a search for rib roast and you'll get lots of results.

Thanks guys. So if I can keep the temp up around 350-375, we should be looking at about 20 minutes per pound? I'm not 100% sure, since they aren't as thick as a normal roast.

I'm thinking I might try the herb crust that is on the front page Prime Rib recipe on at least two of them, maybe some Montreal Steak Spice on another one, and maybe just some salt and pepper on the other.

Does anyone know what the yield is of a rib roast? If I start with 60 pounds of rib roast, approx how much will I be left with?

I'm thinking 4 of these roasts (approx 55-60 pounds), and 100 boneless chicken thighs. All cut up so it can go on buns. Sound like enough for 130 people?

OK folks, this cook is almost upon me. We're doing it on Thursday, and I just wanna make sure I have enough food to feed 130 people. We're serving all of the meat on bun;

- 55 pounds, boneless whole rib roast (4 x 13.5)
- 150 boneless chicken thighs

Everything will be sliced thin for the sandwiches. I'm thinking three hours to cook the beef, with the WSM's running as hot as I can get them. I'll take plenty of pictures, hopefully not ones where I'm sitting in the corner of the park crying because it was a major fail.

What do you guys think?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Darcy Poulin:
OK folks, this cook is almost upon me. We're doing it on Thursday, and I just wanna make sure I have enough food to feed 130 people. We're serving all of the meat on bun;

- 55 pounds, boneless whole rib roast (4 x 13.5)
- 150 boneless chicken thighs

Everything will be sliced thin for the sandwiches. I'm thinking three hours to cook the beef, with the WSM's running as hot as I can get them. I'll take plenty of pictures, hopefully not ones where I'm sitting in the corner of the park crying because it was a major fail.

What do you guys think? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>There is very little waste on those cuts and you're serving the meat in buns. I think 1/3lb (pre cook weight) per person would be adequate with everything else so you should be fine with the quantity of meat, you've got closer to 3/4lb per person.

Assuming you have an 18" WSM you'll have to cook one meat then the other. I'd do the chicken first, then hold it rather than do the beef first, the beef is just too nice to throw in a cooler for a couple of hours and risk having it end up well done.

Not having done your cook, best guess on timing is start the chicken at 6am. Unless you have a 22" WSM it's going to take two cooks for the chicken pieces. Use 2 - 3 fully lit chimneys and leave the lid just a little askew. Use an empty foiled water pan with sand or crumpled foil covered by a top layer of foil. This will be important, you will need the heat to get to temp and get it all done on time. Put on another lit chimney in for the second batch of chicken.

I'd remove the chicken at 155ºF, then in foil in a cooler with towels or blankets, then take them out at serving time and slice individually for each sandwich (get 2 helpers). It would be a good idea to brine/flavor brine the chicken, should help it stay moist to serving time.

Get the beef on by 8:30am with 1-2 more fully lit chimneys (use lump so you don't have to fuss with emptying hot ash, it has lower ash production). My target would be 140ºF at 11:30am, time for a foiled rest in a cooler for 30 minutes. Do try and make sure they get at least a 15 minute rest.

I'll stress my planning is for high heat, lots of lit, lid askew and a dry pan, 3 cooks in a 18" WSM.

Good luck, let us know how it goes, pls post pics!!

Thanks a lot Shawn, I really appreciate it.

I'm going to do the chicken on large commercial gasser that I'm borrowing from a friend (6' long, about 2' wide). I'll have two 18" WSM's to do the beef in, and I'll get all of the charcoal lit right away with the use of 4 chimneys.

Wish me luck.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Darcy Poulin:
Thanks a lot Shawn, I really appreciate it.

I'm going to do the chicken on large commercial gasser that I'm borrowing from a friend (6' long, about 2' wide). I'll have two 18" WSM's to do the beef in, and I'll get all of the charcoal lit right away with the use of 4 chimneys.

Wish me luck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>NP

Two in each cooker then, still use at least 2 lit chimneys each cooker, I'd still start by 8:30am, empty water pan and leave the lid askew a bit. Leave it askew until you are well on your way (like maybe 100ºF internal) then make a judgement call as to when to close the lid normally (if at all). Taking too long to get up to cooking temps is your single biggest risk in this.

When it's done make another judgement call. 140ºF at 11:30am, I'd foil and blanket in a cooler for 30 minute rest. If you get there at 11am maybe leave it under tented foil for 20 minutes THEN into the cooler to hold the remaining 40 minutes.

Again, this is a best guess, and good luck!

Well, I'm not sure how this could have went any better. We had the meat on by 7:45, and it reached 130 degrees at exactly 10:45. I still can't believe that 55 pounds of beef was finished in 3 hours! I foiled it and put it in an ice chest until 11:30, when we took it out and started cutting it. It came out piping hot.

I ran the cookers as hot as I could, and left the trap door open until the meat reached 100 degrees (as suggested by Shawn), which was about 2 hours into the cook.

There were comments like "wow, that's the best meat I've ever eaten", and "holy crap, that's incredible". From the way the boss was talking, I may be in for a promotion...here are some pics

img0304m.jpg

img0309p.jpg

img0310m.jpg

img0318m.jpg

img0324xl.jpg

img0327i.jpg

img0338ev.jpg

img0339rx.jpg

img0345gw.jpg

Looks like you did a fine job. Nice roasts. If you have a performance review at work, remind the boss you can cook killer beef roasts !

What an awesome cook! I need to pony up the cash and get a full roast like that and just go prehistoric on that thing. My friend Caleb want to each start at an end and meet in the middle. Death by ribeye...what a way to go.

Back