Cooking for a picnic - Add lit to pile of unlit, or add unlit to lit coals?

steveD

TVWBB Fan
When you are grilling for a picnic/cookout, and you know you're going to have the grill running for an extended period of time such that a single chimney of coals is not going to last, do you dump a chimney of lit coals onto a pile of unlit or do you just dump the chimney of lit coals in, and add unlit as you go? It seems like most of what I'm seeing through Google searches suggests people add unlit as they go, but I'm wondering if there's any benefit to that over having the unlit already in there from the start...

I usually add unlit briquettes to maintain heat. Any idea what your grilled product (direct or indirect method) will be?
That won't make too big a difference but, if you use indirect, dropping the coal in the baskets or side piles is fairly easy. If you need to replenish for direct grilling, you may need/want to remove the cooking grate reload and replace. It's a little more fussing but, either way should provide some fine feasting for the guests. I'd keep the option for another chimney open, you may get "caught short" and a lit batch could bring things back under control more quickly.
I did an all afternoon party for about 100 people brought what they wanted to grill and my "crew" and I ran 3-22" kettles and used an 18 for chimney lighting. One kettle we set pretty hot direct, one split traditional down the middle and one split half and half. It was a really beautiful day and by an hour or so in, the "crew"(mostly non kettle people) started to see how I wanted things done and once in a while I could go out and see how the crowd was enjoying things.

For me, cookouts usually just means burgers, dogs, and maybe some brats/sausages being cooked at dinner/supper time, so I would go with a traditional indirect/direct setup. I have a cast iron grate that is divided in quarters, so I can add more coal pretty easily, lit or unlit. The only issue is that I do not have a convenient spot to light a chimney while cooking since my only other grill, Genesis gasser, is not near the kettle and not conveniently moveable to be closer.

With the quartered grates adding unlit coals would be my method, if it's just a matter of keeping something going for a couple of hours. Do, the first load heavy, add a double handful or two after half an hour or so and let the "hot spot" move as you add coal. You will figure it out.
There is always a tendency to overthink what to do, let the fire tell you what it wants and when. It will be fine!

Yeah, I'm not worried about it per say, just more wondering if there was benefit to one approach over the other. I do large cooks fairly infrequently, and the last time I did one relying on charcoal was shortly after I started using it and I ran out of coals and had to finish stuff off on the gasser. Not even sure if the issue is going to come up this summer, but like I said, just thinking about it while daydreaming about cookings rather than working...

Back