Cooking for 60

That is a fact... the beer went down way too easy yesterday during our cook, although I must say I was a good boy for most of the day as I really didn't have my first beer until about 2:30 pm but didn't waste too much time in trying to catch up with my friend Larry. I think we both hit the pool about five or six times during the cook as the heat on the patio was intensified by the dueling WSM's. There were lots of smiles yesterday from the guest's that partaked in the feast. I must say Larry definately had his POOP together organizing this event. The timing was perfect. We had the two WSM's and two charcoal grills going all at the same time, and we managed them to perfection. I've done lots of BBQ's and this one by far was the most enjoyable of them all. It was very gratifying to see people that for the most part I've never met before really enjoy their selves. Larry's niece had two or three plates of food and she is fairly small in stature, but she enjoyed all of the fixins. The best part of the whole day besides the great food, was the beer remained ice cold the whole day and into the evening hours as well. Larry you did a great job, and I am looking forward to our next big bash.

Well, maybe the butts will be done ahead, and the chicken the day of. Lot to think about.

BTW, I've always left the fat cap on my butts. Now I see some suggestions to remove it. Any thoughts?

Originally posted by Lou S:
Well, maybe the butts will be done ahead, and the chicken the day of. Lot to think about.

BTW, I've always left the fat cap on my butts. Now I see some suggestions to remove it. Any thoughts?
Lou, def cook the butts ahead. I'm doing a graduation party for 35-40 on the 28th. I,m cooking the 4 butts this coming weekend. I'll vac seal and reheat at the party. I'll cook two 1/2 foil pans of Barbies beans the day of. Chicken I'll cook at the party. I never remove the fat cap on butts. There's a thin line of meat inbetween the false cap and the true cap that is heaven to eat while pulling.

Ed & Larry, Glad to hear the party was a success for you guys. Pics of the cook and food look fantastic.
icon_cool.gif

Larry, looking good.

Guess my invite got lost in the mail
icon_wink.gif

It's been kind of a bummer to the season so far for me. Been too busy with work and the kids sports to be able to do much Qing.

Originally posted by Bob Hunter:
Larry, looking good.

Guess my invite got lost in the mail
icon_wink.gif

It's been kind of a bummer to the season so far for me. Been too busy with work and the kids sports to be able to do much Qing.

Bob, I told Larry to send that invite to you, but I guess he got so darn busy with his butts, and all of the other arrangements that he forgot. You bring up a good point however. I think all of us No. Cal and So. Cal people should hook up twice a year for a throwdown. Once down in your neck of the woods, and once up here in our neck of the woods. Then we can do something like a briskett cookoff for one and a rib cookoff for the other. No winners or losers, just happy people that are "FULL". We would just need someone smarter than me to set this thing up. Maybe we can see who all out this way would be interested and then collectively we could all come up with a plan.

Ed,
Now that sounds like one of the best ideas I've heard in a long time. The only change I would make would be, strike "No Winners" to ALL WINNERS

wsmsmile8gm.gif

No doubt about it. Everyone wins when there is smoke in the air. Now all we have to do is get this party started. I'll start up a new thread to see who is interested besides us. I'll label it "California Throwdown".

Used two butts on top level, two boneless shoulder on bottom. Came out just fine (next time I'll use more wood smoke). Meat fell cleanly off the bone for the butts. I used boneless shoulder because that's what the "warehouse membership" store had. But at $1.79 I think it was a bit pricey, and did not taste any better than the butts that I normally get for .99 to 1.29.

Will thaw/reheat on Saturday and smoke some chicken to flesh it out, so to speak. Looks like only 40 are going to make it. Guess I'll have a lot of leftovers. Good thing I've got some freezer space open.

Back