Cooking for 60

Hey Larry, how long does it take to make the charcoal and fire that WSM up? It's been an hour now. You didn't grab a bottle of wine instead of the chimney did you?

LOL, very funny, actually I'm enjoying a few Miller Lites tonight. It took forever to get this thing setup just right, I don't think I like doing more than 2 butts.

At 7:25 my top grate is 231 (I bumped her down to 230 last night) and my lid temp is 263, think I have any concerns here? I'm confident my lid ran 30 degrees higher than my grate temp all night. One of the bottom grate butts is 164.8 and one of the top butts is 164.6. I'm amazed at how close the temps are. I'm going to go out and do a rotate in a few minutes. EDIT: Got butts turned man that's a real pain rotating them with all these damn wires etc. Anyway, the look really good (I've updated the pictures) I was surprised since they ran all night at probably around 255 top grate (30 degrees higher than I usually run). I've used quite a bit of fuel and all my wood was consumed up. I'm going to let her run a couple more hours and then check her on fuel. I did add another piece of Pecan when I turned, these should be plenty smoky.

SO just told me she hasn't heard from the company that is renting us our tables and chairs, she called them and their number has been disconnected . . . great, looks like we're scrambling for another rental place S$#@!

EDIT: Here's where my probe was placed (bottom left of picture) -
GradPartyProbPlacement.jpg

Larry,
I think you may be a little too close to the butts with the probe. I always put mine as close to the handle as possible, but that's just me. I try to keep the probe at least 3" away from the meat.

18 hours in and I'm only sitting at 186 (I'm going to check the bone at 190), come on boys, let's pick-up the pace, I've got a lot to do for tomorrow!!!!

I think you're good to go already. It's so close you're probably already there and just don't know it yet. Ask your SO what she thinks... LOL

Ignore the temps. Feel the meat.

LOL, I know, I know, lol. Had to leave two of the butts on as they're just not done. One's at 194, the other's still sitting at 186, checking again in a few minutes.

Another beer, why thank you, don't mind if I do . . .

OK, it's 11:10 Pacific time, Ed and I got 12 racks of spares on by 10:00 a.m., damn prepping 12 racks of St. Louis Style are a real pain. Got one WSM Stoked the other DigiQ'd. Ed's smoking his racks over red oak, I went apple. Rubbed with Chris Lilly's rub recipe.

Pork butt turned out awesome. Finishing sauce was perfect, quick freezing them using my freezers "power freeze" feature worked out great! Vac. sealed 1 butt per package (4 packages) so we'll be warming later on.

So far everything is on track, and I've held it to two beers so far this a.m.

are updated but no pictures of the rib prep. we were too busy getting the prepped to worry about pics.

I'll update you guys later, so far so good . . .

and I've held it to two beers so far this a.m.
Such a rock, Lar!
icon_biggrin.gif

I need me a freezer with a quick-freeze option. Too handy.

Sounds like your plan is going smothly. Excellent.

LMAO! 11:10am and "I've held it to two beer so far this a.m." Not smoking anything over here...finally getting some needed rain but I have plenty of cold beer. You've got a head start but I'll try and catch up.
icon_biggrin.gif

Hope all turns out great for you!

1:45 p.m. and we just sprayed the ribs and I've got to say they look great. I've updated the PICTURES

Guests due to arrive in 1:15, serving dinner at 5:30 p.m., I think it's time for another beer. So far all is good.

UPDATE: Doing both Roadside Chicken and regular BBQ chicken in about 2 hours.

BTW, this is LarryR using Ed's account.

WHAT....no beer count?

LOL, 7 or 8, but who's counting, it's only 2:25 here on the west coast, it's all good.

It's interesting watching the DigiQ and Stoker side by side. We had a minor power issue and both Ed and I looked at eachother and wondered, do we remember how to smoke without our Power Draft Systems? LOL. Pictures updated.

Well, y'all should be doing the flip, turn and baste dance via the Roadside Chicken recipe about now......great pool pics btw!

Count is 7 here.

Grad party was a huge success. We didn't have as many people show as we thought we would, final count came in around 40. Quantities would have done fine for 60, however, we probably wouldn't have had any leftover chicken or ribs like we did with only 40 showing. I cooked way too much pulled pork, two would have been fine, even for 60 We didn't even crack open two of the bags of pulled pork. Made way too much sauce too. All of which will either be eaten by guests who are still here or will go in the freezer.

If you've got to cook 12 racks of ribs I highly recommend doing it with Ed C. Man we had it down. We foiled and then firming on the gasser. Ribs turned out great, however we probably could have cooked two of the larger pieces of ribs a little longer but trust me, no one complained. Ribs went on around 10:00 a.m. and we finished them on the gasser around 5:00 p.m. Based on this cook I think apple was a bit too light for my taste. Maybe mixed with some red oak or hickory maybe.

Both chickens turn out great and the pulled pork with the finishing sauce was excellent.

I wanted to thank everyone who gave input, you helped make this cook a huge success, don't know if I'll do another one as it was a lot of work but it was also very satisfying. I also wanted to thank Ed C. for hosting the party at their home and for all the work he and his wife put into it as I surely was a lot of work for them also.

I've updated the pictures and will be adding more when I get them from Ed's wife.

Amazing coincidence. I came here to start a thread on cooking for 60, and look what I found after the briefest of searches!

Thanks for sharing the above. Now, please help me decide, and I'll probably have to decide tonight or tomorrow, about feeding 60 or so adults at a library opening on 6/28. From the above, I'm wondering if this just might be a bit much for me. I will be doing the majority of the work myself, cooking wise. I might have some help the day of, but it would be limited. I would prepare only the meat- sides will be prepared by others.

I anticipate taking my bullet to the library the day before, set up, ready to light the morning of, at perhaps 6 a.m.(food must be ready at 6 p.m. or shortly thereafter). I could also bring my Weber gas grill, and perhaps another gas grill. I've never tried to cook on the gas grill at 225, I always cook at 350 on it, with limited success as far as smoking goes (heavy smoking box). That's why I bought the bullet. I could give it a try ahead of time to see how that works out, or just plan to run some legs and thighs or run 2 or 3 whole chickens on the rotisserie.

I gather from the above that I could fit four bone in 7-8 lb butts, two on each level. But that would likely feed only 30 - 40 people. Or am I mistaken? I would not do ribs, because the membrane prep time would be excessive, and I suspect the ribs would be hoovered very quickly. Space wise, that means I need to cook at least 3 dozen chicken pieces in something other than the smoker. I must note, several of these people will be vegetarians, which I plan to leave to their own devices (graze the sides).

I don't have a super freezer, but perhaps I could cook some butts the weekend before, and freeze them. If I did enough ahead of time, perhaps I could smoke some country ribs the day of. I'd smoke some lamb, but if I did that, with this group, we'd have to add a footnote to the bible about locusts descending....

Is this doable? Should I just call it off (it hasn't been announced yet), or is there a way of changing my plans to where it might actually work out? BTW, I haven't cooked for more than 15 or so people since college, 30 years ago. And it was red beans and rice with ham back then.

And am I off base thinking 10-11 hours would be sufficient for doing 4 butts? I've only cooked one butt at a time, with perhaps some chicken or chops.

Congrats guys....looks like lots of fun took place!

BTW...I never caught you on the 'count'.....one more after my last post and I was done - Coors Light was beer of choice here also!

Lou, you can easily fit the 4 butts on and I think with chicken and sides it would easily feed 60 with leftovers. I would highly recommend cooking ahead of time and warming the day of. The only mistake I made here was putting an entire butt in a single vac. seal bag, took forever to reheat the center.

Even without the super freeze feature you can quickly cool the butts using frozen baking sheets and maybe some zip lock bags of ice.

You're right on the ribs, doing that alone would have been a nightmare and also you wouldn't be able to do enough ribs on a single WSM for a group of 60. The prep was a major pain in the butt too, trimming, membrane rubbing etc.

Lastly I don't think 10 - 11 hours is enough time. Remember it's going to take longer to get your WSM up to temp with that much cold meat in it. Also, my butts always go long, I think these took between 18 - 19 hours.

If you have any other questions or need suggestions feel free to ask while this information is still on my mind.

BTW, I received three phone calls so far today from people who attended who want a recipe or just called to tell me how great the food was.

Wayne, I'm embarrassed to even admit this but I think my final total was around 30 beers . . . don't worry, Ed did a great job keeping up with me.

Back