Cooking boneless pot roast

Craig C

TVWBB Fan
Howdy all, I've got a 4.15 lb. beef chuck under blade boneless pot roast I plan on smoking this Sunday. Any reason I should smoke any different from a larger chuck roll? I'm not sure on this smaller cut. Thanks.

I just did 2 3lbers boneless chucks this last weekend. Rubbed with WRB. Smoked at 250-275 till 160ish, foiled, pulled off when tender. These make by far the best tacos I have ever had.

Hi Craig,

That will be delicious! When smoking chuck roasts some of the individual muscles don't always get tender at the same time. When you think it's finally tender, be sure to check each of the separate muscles to insure they are all tender. Oh boy! That will be good! Post us some pictures.

###

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig C:
Don, tacos sound like a great idea. What rub did you use, WRB? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You can also just use taco seasoning (Ortega Hot comes to mind) as your rub for taco beef done WSM style.
icon_wink.gif

Craig,
Yes, Wolfe Rub Bold. I usually make my own rubs and this is one of the few I bought (and donated so that I now have the recipe), it is outstanding on beef. I'll cut the salt a la Kevin when I make my own.

Chuck tacos are outstanding. No one ever experiences these anywhere so it is a unique flavor combo.

I have made pot roast on the wsm w/ a piece of chuck. Spiced meat with usual brisket rub, smoked in a deep foil pan uncovered to about 160, then added family pot roast recipe of tomato sauce, ketchup, mustard, worchestire etc to the pan, along with potatoes and carrots, foiled top and smoked to 195-200.
Everyone loved it, including teenage nephews.

Back