Cooking 2 Turkeys at once.

Anthony Irving

Hello,

I receieved a 22 WSM as a gift. A friend told a relative about a turkey that I smoked on my Weber. Now, I've been asked to smoke two turkeys. I will be using the foiled pan method. Also, I will be shooting for 300 degrees. Both turkeys will be brined.

I have several questions;

1) Should the smaller of the turkeys be placed on the top rack? I assume, that it will cook faster.
2) I have a remote thermometer, should I just check the smaller turkey? Once it's done, then move the probe to the larger turkey.
3) Will the larger turkey cook faster as it's closer to the flame.

Thanks in advance,

Anthony

I don't think the temperature difference is enough between the two grates to worry... How much smaller is the little turkey?

Jeff,

Thanks for responding, I havent even purchased the turkeys yet. I just figured that one would be smaller then the other. The last time, I checked they had one 12 and one 15 pounder (non injected turkeys).

I cooked some wings this weekend on the WSM. There was no difference in how the ones on the top rack versus the bottom rack turned out. Granted turkeys are bigger but I think you will have the same result.

Watch your temps on the turkeys... the one I cooked for Thanksgiving was finished about two hours before I thought it would be!
icon_biggrin.gif

Back