Cookbox Exterior Cleaning Methods?

John-NY

TVWBB Super Fan
Is there a tried and true way to clean the cookbox exterior? Without damaging the original finish, or having to repaint anything, etc.?

For example, in this photo?

9286548B-F589-4B6F-B5A9-BAA4F42F96D2.jpeg

I like simply green in fact I just used it today. You spray it on let it sit for a while and wipe it off it doesn't really good job

If you can find someone to bead blast or sand blast the firebox, it keeps a great texture and is very easy to paint. It can be a bit pricier, maybe $50 for a box and end caps. It really makes the inside look fantastic, at least till the first cook :)

If you are or not successful, please report back on what you tried and what did or did not work...with pics;-) With that I usually have to use 120 grit and paint.

The last two grills I picked up, I used simple green and a blue 3M scrubbing pad. It did make a difference.

The last two grills I picked up, I used simple green and a blue 3M scrubbing pad. It did make a difference.
I ended up doing exactly this. It worked somewhat well.

A weird visual trick occurred though, when I scrubbed the area (after spraying with the degreaser), it looked extremely clean.
But once I took the hose to it, and washed off the area, it re-revealed the worst of the dirty area.

I ended up doing exactly this. It worked somewhat well.

A weird visual trick occurred though, when I scrubbed the area (after spraying with the degreaser), it looked extremely clean.
But once I took the hose to it, and washed off the area, it re-revealed the worst of the dirty area.
In my case I was just trying to get the boxes as clean as possible without removing any of the mostly intact existing paint.I was happy with my results because I know that being any more aggressive was just going to start stripping that off. I suspect you were shooting for the same thing.

Back