cook at 200 F?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hey,

Smoke & Spice says cook at 200 F, everyone here says 225-250 F. Think it makes a difference?

Tried a couple of cooks at 200 F, they came out a little dry. But could easily have been a coincidence, since other factors were possible culprits.

BTW does basting/mopping *really* do anything to keep meat moist? Aidells & Kelly, in "The Complete Meat Cookbook" says it doesn't--which fits my intuition. Seems like it's the fat that makes it moist.

Appreciate any advice/opinions. Thanks!

--Tom

225-250*F is easier to maintain than 200*F in most barbecue cookers, which is why you see this as a common recommendation for temperature range.

Regards,
Chris

I think that if the temperature at the rack is only 200 degF, then it's going to take a long time to smoke brisket or pork butt if you're pulling them at 190+ degF. It's going to take a long time for the internal temperature to reach 190+ degF when the rack temperature is only 10 degF higher. It also gives the outer portions of the meat a greater opportnity to dry out.

I always smoke between 225 degF and 250 degF. I also thin that basting at the half-halfs will at least keep the outer part of the meat from drying out too fast.

BBQ is about using the internal fat of the meet to keep it moist while connective tissue is being broken down. Cooking at 200? can use up all the fat before that tissue is broken thus drying out the final product.
Smoke & Spice is a good book but times and temps are not consistant with the realities of good BBQ.
Mopping and basting will add flavor layers to a piece of meat but it won't maintain the moisture levels in that piece of meat, brinning or injecting will help. Once the fat has been rendered the meat will begin to dryout.
Jim

Hey,

Happy is he who can learn at the feet of the masters!

Your explanations definitely jibe with what I was beginning to suspect, and will save me from repeating the mistake. Thanks!

And here I thought temperature control was going to be the hard part about BBQ!

--Tom

You are also flirting with Danger at 200. If there is a temp spread and an error in the therm you could be colder to the point of the danger zone. I cook at 225 to 275 for competitions.
HTH,

Hey,

Good point, Konrad!

Now that we're getting scientific, let me summarize my understanding of why you don't want to go outside than 225-250 F....

Reasons to keep it above 225 F:

1. Don't melt the fat away before the connective tissues break down.

2. Don't risk promoting bacteria growth if temp is lower than you planned.

3. Hard to keep temp lower than that.

Reasons to keep it below 250/275 F (depending on taste):

1. Want to cook meat more evenly, so don't overcook the outside before the inside's done.

2. Want time to form a nice smoke ring. According to http://home1.gte.net/res004na/ring.html, the ring only forms when the internal temp is at 140 F or below.

This raises the following thought: would it make sense to start with the temp at the low end (225 F) until the internal meat temp reaches 140 F, then bump up to 250/275 F? That way you'd maximize the time for smoke ring formation, hopefully without melting off too much fat.

As far as I can tell from an internet search, pork fat melts at temps over 85 F. I.e., almost as soon as you start cooking. So my suggested strategy might not be a good idea.

--Tom

Hi Tom,
It seems to me that the smoke ring is probably formed before the suface of the meat attains 140 degrees. In my experience, while a smoke ring is pleasing to the eye, it isn't really necessary for a good smoke flavor. I Q butts and such at about 240 or so, and I always get a nice ring.
For leaner meats, such as tri-tip, pork loin , chicken, etc. , I cook w/o a water pan, at a higher temp- 350 or so. I still get good smoke penetration. I like Smoke and Spice, but their cooking times and temps are somewhat suspect.
I can't see any good reason to cook below 225, unless one wants to attempt cold smoking, which is quite a different process that uses much lower temps.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back