Converting recipe to brine?

GreggP

TVWBB Fan
So I really like Ruhlman's bacon recipe. Yes, it's overly salty and yes, I like it that way. Stop judging me!

Anyway, I'd like to get a similar product from a brine instead of a dry mix. Is there any way to convert it, or is there a recipe anyone can suggest that yields something similar?

Many thanks.

I would use Martin's curing calculator (stickied in this subforum) and just add whatever aromatics and seasonings you like. Just include the weight of the water so that you have adequate amounts of nitrate and salt.

So I really like Ruhlman's bacon recipe. Yes, it's overly salty and yes, I like it that way. Stop judging me!

Anyway, I'd like to get a similar product from a brine instead of a dry mix. Is there any way to convert it, or is there a recipe anyone can suggest that yields something similar?

Many thanks.

the S Mac recipe is good, and what I used for a while. I prefer to dry cure, because the final bacon seems to cook a little faster since there isn't so much water to boil off first.

If you are following the Ruhlman/Polcyn recipe 50 g per 2250 g of belly and put that into Martin's calculator, you should find it's merely 1.5% salt. I typically cure at 2.5 - 3%, which I find is pretty low on salt. I'm curious why you think the recipe is salty. Are you using the "salt box" method?

Back