Controversial Statements

Status
Not open for further replies.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by J. Barry McCorkle:
[qb]No luck here on the mustard base sauce recipe as I have never been able to come close to Maurice Bessinger's Piggy Park. I still have a local grocer that carries it and I keep a few bottles in the pantry. There is none like it and my family loves it! Would be interested in your recipe if your willing to share.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For many years, we used to bring back a half dozen bottles of Piggy Park to Massachusetts every time we visited my family down south. Personally, I've kind of gone off of the stuff (needed a change), but my wife still likes it a lot.

I had tried at least half a dozen purported recipes and just wasn't happy with any of them. They either had too much raw mustard flavor or were too much like a honey-mustard sauce.

It finally dawned on me the other day that my favorite middle Georgia sauce made with mustard instead of ketchup might be the what I was looking for. I played around with the proportions and came up with this:

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup plain old yellow mustard
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 TBS Worcester sauce
1 tablespoon black pepper

I added a chipotle pepper and a teaspoon of my ancho chile rub, but that's the basic sauce. Just simmer it for 30 minutes or so.

It may need a little more mustard than that so add up to another 1/4 cup if you like. But, be careful because it will start tasting like straight mustard if you add too much. Also, it's a pretty thin, puckery sauce so you could increase the water and decrease the vinegar if it's too tart. The amount of sugar is a matter of personal taste, but I think it needs quite a bit to balance the bitterness of the mustard and I think Piggy Park sauce has a lot of sugar. Adjust the heat with more black pepper.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>[qb]
Augusta, Ga huh? Small world, I used to live in the metropolis of Belvedere, SC (Place seems really run down last time I visited) and went to Clearwater Elementary in the early years. I spent a few semesters as a co-op engineer at Ga. Power's Plant Vogtle Nuclear Plant in the mid 80's and played a lot of golf at Fort Gordon and some course off Wrightsboro(?) Road.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There was an old municipal golf course next to Daniel Field airport that you might be talking about. It was affectionately known locally as "the Cabbage Patch". There is also a really great old tree-lined layout (Forest Hills Golf Course) on the other side of the airport that was owned and operated by the VA. If I'm not mistaken, this course was turned over to the city sometime in the late 1970s or 1980s and became a public course. This is on Wrightsboro Road and probably the course you played.

Webb
your sauce is very similar that I've usd for years, I use red pepper flakes and no water.

A great base and then modify to your personel taste.
Jim

Webb,
That's the course - Forest Hills. It had a real nice layout with many, many pines lining the fairways. It is open to the public and if someone put a little money into it, it would be as nice as Jones Creek or Goshen Plantation.

Jim and Pat,
Just kidding on the beef comment. I never have turned down beef bbq and at times have chosen it over pork (but very, very rarely). Never have tasted brisket, but would like to try some.

SC Que

Barry,
Sir, I believe there must be some Yankee blood coursen' thru those viens of yours!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Minion:
[qb] your sauce is very similar that I've usd for years, I use red pepper flakes and no water.
[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The same sauce works great with 1 cup of catsup instead of the 1/2 cup of mustard. It produces a thin, tart, sweet tomato based sauce that's great on pork.

It think the style of sauce (particularly the black pepper) is very common in middle to south Georgia: say around the Macon area. It shares the tart characteristics of North Carolina sauces, being primarily vinegar.

For whatever reason, I've come to like thinner bar-b-que sauces here lately. I like a good thick Kansas City style sauce, too -- but I think the thin sauces let a little more of the meat flavor come through. I often do bar-b-q chicken with no sauce throughout the cooking process and then serve a bit of this thin sauce on the side.

It's funny. A sauce I detest is the Johnny Harris Savannah, GA style sauce which is similar to these, but with a combination of mustard and catsup. Just doesn't do anything for me, despite the fact that I like both mustard and catsup based sauces separately.

Hey Barry,
I found this recipe a while back.I don't even remember where I got it but it's pretty good.
32oz.- Yellow Mustard
40oz.- Brown Sugar
24oz.- White Vinegar
Juice of 1 lemon
4tsp.-Old Bay Seasoning
5 1/2tsp.- Liquid Smoke(I know I know) /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Heat all together.Put the mustard and sugar in first.Dissolve sugar before adding vinegar this will keep the sugar from lumping.
Hope this works for you,
Willy T.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back