Controller issue ??

Don D.

TVWBB Fan
Hi,
Really love my EX6. Smoked ribs, roasts. Really into smoked chicken now (Doctor's orders : less meat...) But I'm having issues with Wifi !! My grill is showing the wifi symbol as if it's connected to wifi but not the Bluetooth connection symbol, while my Weber connect app shows the opposite and I'm only connected on Bluetooth, which works flawlessly but I need wifi as well. I did go through troubleshooting with Weber and they be shipped me out a new controller, which I'll install tomorrow. I know it's going to taken some time to do all the updates again. Just wondering if others had the same issue. I really want to keep this machine, but am quite concerned at the longevity of these parts and Weber warranty I mean three years ?? I'm wondering what is the standard with competitors warranties...

I did a quick cook today with mine. Let it come up to 350, burn for 20 minutes or so to burn off anything living followed by about a 60 minute cook at 350. I manually dropped the temp to 200 twice while I was moving things around and then back to 350 when I closed the lid. I was not able to adjust my temps through the app via WiFi, but everything operated perfect Bluetooth. I didn’t have time to troubleshoot anything. Just assumed it was defaulting to BT because I was in range. Just have not used it enough yet to know the quirks.
Please let us know how the new control box works.

Took less than 10 minutes to swap controllers. Did my update to the current correct version. Bluetooth and wifi now showing up on EX6 screen and my Connect app. Hopefully was a fluke. I really want to keep this but worry about longevity. My S670 served me very well for 12 years. Weber sent new cookbox last summer due to burnthrough. Even sent a new cover due to a touch of discoloration. Couldn't switch them yet due to a really bad case of Covid I caught a year ago , still not back to my old self.... We'll see how this performs over the next month....

Last edited:
Not that we represent a majority of SF owners but I do read here of longevity concerns. It would be nice if Weber would extend their warranty to, say, six years and make it retroactive to initial buyers.

I think any electronic pellet grill is not a likely candidate for 12 years of service, at least not without replacing a lot of moving and electronic parts. The big thing will be is if you can even get those parts 5 or 6 years from now. These will not be restore and flip grills in 2027😲!

Not 12 years but 6 would be nice :). I threw-out 6 years because of Recteq's RT-700 but I'd feel good about a 5 year warranty, too. Though I realize the SF normal price point is less than that of the Bull. It seems Weber wants to get these in the hands of consumers and given their brand reputation something longer than 3 years would be nice. I would not feel good about a 3-year life on a SF.

I agree. I'd settle for five years. I mean the auger and hopper angle were overlooked and I guess fixed with the Second Gen. However I really wonder about the electronics in here. We don't even know what a controller/motherboard etc... Cost out of pocket to replace. I'm sure they're a pretty penny. While I understand you can't warranty anything forever, three years after this bumbled release doesn't do it for me.

Last edited:
I think any electronic pellet grill is not a likely candidate for 12 years of service, at least not without replacing a lot of moving and electronic parts. The big thing will be is if you can even get those parts 5 or 6 years from now. These will not be restore and flip grills in 2027😲!
They will be on version 8 in 2027. :unsure:

Had my first controller issue today.
Made all my settings on control box. Started at 250 just to warm things up. Tossed on some chicken breasts and turned temp up to 375. Temp was reached and all was good. Few minutes later noticed way more smoke coming out of vents and lid. Temp was at 480 and rising. Pressed controller knob to see 375 still dialed in on control panel. Pressed button again to set and slowly temp dropped back to 375. Not sure why temp spiked.

More controller issues again, or maybe Wifi. Put Smokeboost on , left the house , checked in on the app about half hour later and all was good. Boosted to 275 as I had in chicken thighs and Turkey drumsticks. About a minute later checked in again. , Or should I say tried to check in. No connection.... This controller is a week old. I think I'm jumping ship to RT700. Double the warranty. I'm a big Weber fan , S670, Silver C , Two Baby Q. This is my first pellet grill and I'm not confident in it's longevity. 3 year warranty doesn't cut it for me when you see people are having issues.

Last edited:
More controller issue again, or maybe Wifi. Put Smokeboost on , left the house , checked in on the app about half hour later and all was good. Boosted to 275 as I had in chicken thighs and Turkey drumsticks. About a minute later checked in again. , Or should I say tried to check in. No connection.... This controller is a week old. I think I'm jumping ship to RT700. Double the warranty. I'm a big Weber fan , S670, Silver C , Two Baby Q. This is my first pellet grill and I'm not confident in it's longevity. 3 year warranty doesn't cut it for me when you see people are having issues.
I think the control box WiFi range is pretty weak. Never any issues working near grill using Bluetooth with iPhone or iPad.
My home WiFi box is not that far from my SF but I just don’t think it’s making a very strong connection.
But my temperature spike of over 100 degrees yesterday has me a little worried. No idea what would have happened if I were not physically checking often as temp was still climbing.
I‘LL give it another chance. I cleaned it out real well again today and found nothing out of the ordinary. I love the simplicity of use with this machine but I worry when I walk away.
Maybe borrow a WiFi extender. Although none of my other WiFi bbq controllers have issues on my deck.

Last edited:

Back