Container size for brining

Russell Y

TVWBB All-Star
I found a website for some of the cambro containers. What size is appropriate for a 14lb turkey?

I am looking at bbq'ing two 12-14#'s for Thanksgiving.

Thanks,
Russell

I use a three gallon round bucket, which comfortably fits a 10-12 lb. bird with a bit of room to spare. It also happens to just fit in my refrigerator without having to move any shelves.

note of caution. Do not keep the brine in any container you would later drink out of. We had a big plastic pitcher we had the brine in and we still can't get the smell out.

aloha!

Greg

I find a turkey roasting bag is kinda turkey-sized and works perfectly, and you need considerably less liquid to cover the bird. I usually put the bagged bird on its back (I don't eat the back
icon_wink.gif
) in some container in case it leaks.

I also use the roasting bags. As noted it works great, less brine and better coverage. After putting the bird in the bag I then place the bag in a bucket with a lid from Home Depot. I put the whole thing in the refridgerator. It keeps the bird and bag upright and in case it leaks, it's contained.

Jim

The two-gallon ziploc bag works like a champ! And I agree about bags, you can squeeze all of the air out and use far less liquid.

I use a 5 gallon pail from home depot. They are food grade plastic. Google food grade plastic for the number designations.

If youre not comfortable with that go to any restaraunt and ask for an empty pail.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Babek:
I use a 5 gallon pail from home depot. They are food grade plastic. Google food grade plastic for the number designations. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The number designations by themselves don't indicate food grade plastic. They only indicate the type of plastic.

A bucket of kitty litter and a bucket of pickles can both be labeled "2" for HDPE plastic, yet only the pickle bucket is food grade.

See Food Grade Plastics for more information.

Regards,
Chris

Back