consumption and size

Go for 22. I have both but use the 22 most times. 18 will handle a 12lb. brisket but when you get up to around a 14 or 15lb packer, it gets tight. Also a full rib rack is almost too long for the 18.

Try one of these to help with charcoal consumption when weather is brisk. Makes a world of difference.
c9d93f33aab8daa0717f92c760b6bf34.jpg

Thank you all for your comments. First off I would like everyone to know that im not cheap, im not worried about the price of charcoal. I just dont want another one that needs to be cleaned out and refilled every 6 to 9hrs. Just one last thing Yes I do want the 22.5in model. Im a bigger is better person but I just dont want to get burned again.

Another reason that I like the 22 is that I can get by more often just using the top grate. Not a big deal until one starts switching out grates to get to the bottom one etc. etc.

Last week I cooked a 5 pound boston butt and threw on a bag of chicken breasts to fill up the top grate. I filled the charcoal ring to just below filled along with several chunks of tennis ball sized wood chunks, and then added about a quarter filled chimney lit on top. The cook lasted just about 10 hours, mostly cooked at 225-235 but I let it go to 315 for a temp at the end so the coals were full bore. I shut it down and I had zero charcoal left over the next day. A previous cook for two top sirlion beef cuts, where i kept the temp down at the 225 zone, I only filled the ring to about 2 thirds fulls. The cook was right at three hours, and shut it down. I had about 2/3's of the charcoal left over, which I then used for the above boston butt cook.

Could I get by on a 18, sure. Might I even like the 18 better, well, I'll never know cause I've never used one. Space is not a problem for me, charcoal use or cost is of little concern, I stocked up at the last sale with well over 250 pounds of blue, and the extra space of the 22 just makes things easier, and I'm all about easier. Is the 22 overkill for me, yea, most likely with just the wife and I, and feeding guests and kids on occasion. But so is that big SUV in my driveway with three rows of seats, one of which has never been in the upright position, but who know's when I'll need it................................d

I load up on kingsford at Home Depot on holidays. I pay less than $10.00 for double bundles of charcoal. My cost per bag is typically 3.50 to 4.00 per bag. At that price I don't think the price difference adds up to much.

Go for 22. I have both but use the 22 most times. 18 will handle a 12lb. brisket but when you get up to around a 14 or 15lb packer, it gets tight. Also a full rib rack is almost too long for the 18.

Try one of these to help with charcoal consumption when weather is brisk. Makes a world of difference.
c9d93f33aab8daa0717f92c760b6bf34.jpg

J Hoke - If you don't mind me asking, where did you pick up that blanket? No risk of burning/fire?

Back