Consumers Report: Remote Thermometers

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
I suppose we need an objective test on therms.

For the longest time I sang the praises of maverick. From 12 ft. away thru a large glass door it worked fine. Go upstairs, go in the kitchen, go further away and guess what? The reliable et-73 will lose the signal.

Anybody up for some objective side by side tests? What other options are out there besides Maverick and Polder?

For rookies, the dual reporting is very reassuring and a good learning tool. The more I cook, the more I just rely on the wsm to do its thing. The less it is messed with the better.

The Nu-Temp NU-701 Remote Therm is an excellent product. My WSM is on my patio at the rear of my house and I can get a signal anywhere on my property; front of house, interior, garage, etc.

It is limited to a high temp or low temp alarm, but as you said with experience you should be able to set your WSM for an overnighter and not have to worry about going to high or too low.

Great product!!!

For me high and low temp alarms are the only thing I really need in a wireless temp monitor. When I'm sawing logs I'm not concerned about exact temps. I really only need to know when the temp drops (ie WSM out of fuel).

Anton

my maverick has worked very well since I got it in November 2004. Never had a problem with the range - I'm not right next to it, but I'm also not trying to stretch the range to 100 feet through a bunch of walls either. I can't complain. It reaches through my house to my bedroom and wakes me up when my temp falls. That is all I really need...

I agree with the Nu-Temp 701... I have had mine for well over 3 years - works perfect - from anywhere in the house... I set a couple probes for all night cooks - one for low grate temps and one for high... If the temps go crazy the alarm lets me know... Check out the special on these in the "conversation: forum... You won't be disappointed other than you have to have 2 probes to monitor high and low temps or grate and meat temps...

I would stay away from any Polder products. Go to Amazon.com and look at the user reveiws. You will be hard pressed to find a good reveiw.
I have a weber wireless theremometer but it has preset degrees so the highest you can acheive is 180 before the alarm kicks in. So for higher temps I just turn off and on. I had cheaper model then that but after 7 years I have used to the point I need to replace them.

I got my Maverick earlier this year. It hasn't failed me yet. I put it next to my WSM and go inside the house to my computer room and it works like a champ.

I don't know if it was on this or another board but there was a run of Mavericks that was missing an internal antenna.

I have both the ET-73 and the NuTemp. The range for both is comparable, generally 15-25 feet at my house. This is probably due to interference.

The NuTemp gets the nod because of its frequent and visible update. If I get it in a bad signal area, it is obvious in a matter of seconds so that I know if I have lost reception.

The NuTemp is always on and does NOT have to be shut of and turned back on in a specific sequence to reconnect between the transmitter and receiver like the ET-73 does.

I'm sure thermometer info is on this site somewhere, but I need some type of remote themometer. Is there a list with links on this site somewhere? I'd like something that I could have dual readings from multiple pieces of meat. My current, Wal-Mart jobbie blows. Pulling the lid, stabbing the meat, waiting for 30 secs while burning myself in the process is the suck.

As far as range goes, I'm dissappointed with both the ET-73 and the NuTemp, but I'm beginning to think that something may be interfering with both of them.

As far as actual use, I use the Nutemp almost all of the time. With three remotes, i can monitor two different meats and the WSM temp. Plus, since I can't reliably bring the main station inside without loosing the signal, I can set it on the porch table and read the bigger display from inside.

When you appreciate the quality of a wsm, you naturally have high expectations for any accessories. I suppose the remote thermos do not quite live up to what we expect in a under $100 thermo.

I've got a Weber, ET73 and NuTemp.

Of the 3 the NuTemp has a better range *but* only in 3 dimensions. What I mean by this is that the NuTemp has a better range when I go to the upper or lower floors of my house. At ground level they're roughly equivalent.

The Weber gets used for grilling becauxe its probes have a higher heat tolerance.

The ET73 has better useability fetures (hi low , alarms etc.) but it also sucks down the batteries faster.

In general for Qing I lean toward the NuTemp due to the range and because I can get 3 readings on one display.

Back