Consistency of beans

Matt A 3

TVWBB Member
I have been experimenting with some pit bean recipes. I'm trying to find one I like that is "from scratch" using dried beans as opposed to those that start with canned pork-and-beans.

One issue I have is with the consistency. I made a recipe that involved soaking navy beans overnight, then simmering them, then adding ingredients and baking.

I didn't have enough water for the overnight soak since in the morning they had absorbed all the water. So I put in more water and soaked for a couple of hours, but then started simmering since that was all the time I had.

During baking they absorbed all the liquid so about halfway through I added more liquid to cover them.

They turned out great -- very soft -- so I tried to make them again.

The second time I soaked in a lot of water so it didn't run out. I followed the same steps but this time the beans did not absorb nearly as much water in the baking process and they did not turn out as soft as before. Also they ended up very "brothy" since there was a lot of liquid at the conclusion of cooking.

Any ideas as to what happened? It is not clear to me what is happening to the beans (and what they are absorbing) during the soak, simmer and baking stages.

Some insight from folks here would be much appreciated -- I am learning and experimenting.

Cheers,
Matt

On your 2nd attempt, I would guess you just didn't cook them as long. Dry beans should get completely soft if you cook them with enough water (or other liquid) long enough. I would suggest keeping detailed notes on your trials. You may want to soak overnight (or at least 8 hrs) and then to that pot, add more water until there is 1" above the beans. Add your other ingredients and cook at a low temp until tender. A dutch oven with a lid works very well.

Are you looking for a baked bean consistency or something thinner like 'charro beans'?

Paul

I've had luck with the quick method; basically covering beans with an inch of water, brining to a boil, then covering and letting sit for an hour.

This way, the bean have a bit of resitenece when held between two fingers, but yields to gentle pressure. For softer beans, leave in the water for 1.5-2 hours.

I never have much luck with dried beans. The last batch I did, I soaked all day, put them on the stove on very low all night, and when I woke up they were still not cooked through. I ended up turning the heat up and it took most of the morning at a boil to get them soft.

I do know that the older the beans are the dryer they will be. I figured the place I bought these beans from must not have a lot of turn over.

you could try weighing the beans before the soak. It might give you a place to start if lighter beans end up requiring more liquid than heavier ones.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The second time I soaked in a lot of water so it didn't run out. I followed the same steps but this time the beans did not absorb nearly as much water in the baking process and they did not turn out as soft as before. Also they ended up very "brothy" since there was a lot of liquid at the conclusion of cooking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Were these beans from the same package or from a different one?

Age of beans, as j notes, will take longer to cook, sometimes much longer. Also, the ingredients you use and when you add them, especially anything acidic, can alter the finish. Acids will cause the skins to stay firmer longer. The beans cook, but a softer finish will tkae longer and the skins will still retain texture.

It is not necessary to soak most beans at all. They will simply take longer to cook if you don't.

If you are a dried bean fan, as I am (I will use canned plain beans when I must, but cannot stand canned 'baked' beans, pork and beans, et al.) then buy from Rancho Gordo. The beans are incomparable, fresh, and shipping is a flat $8 --so order a bunch.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I do know that the older the beans are the dryer they will be. I figured the place I bought these beans from must not have a lot of turn over. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It could very well be that the beans were harvested drier. Beans will dry down as the day goes on. You could start to harvest at noon, and by four oclock in the afternooon the beans could be 1-2 % lower in moisture than they were at noon

I am assuming you are making baked beans. I have been making them for years and have never had a problem. I have also made the recipe using 4 cups of dried beans and the cooking times remained the same. Here is the procedure I follow:

Wash 2 cups dried navy or pea beans. Soak overnight in 12 cups of water. Drain, cover with fresh water and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down and let the beans simmer, uncovered, until skins split when blown upon. Put them in a pot along with whatever recipe you are following. Add sufficient BOILING water to cover beans. Bake, covered, in a 250 oven for 8 hours, adding a small amopunt of BOILING water from time to time so that beans do not dry out. Uncover during last 30 minutes of baking. The recipe I use calls for maple syrup. If anyone is interested, I can post it.

PS It is true that if your beans are old, they may never soften. I have not had that happen with baked beans as I only buy them as I need them but I have had that problem with bean soup that needed a mixture of 21 different kinds of beans. NO amount of cooking softened those babies up.

Thanks everyone for the input. Great info.

I have no idea how old the beans were -- I got them from the "bulk" section at Whole Foods. But I bought both batches from the same Whole foods, so I assume that, at worst, the second batch was a week older than the first.

Paul -- I'm looking for "baked bean" consistency. That was what I got the first time, but not the second time. I'm using an 8qt oval dutch oven (Le Creuset) with a lid to bake. And I certainly will take detailed notes going forward. It is frusterating not to be able to replicate an outcome!!

I will check out Rancho Gordo as a source for beans.

And Elsie, I will try your process (which is quite specific relative to what I was doing) and maybe will have more success.

Back