Considering picking up a gasser.....

Sean Banks

Costco has started carrying Prime steaks and at the nominal difference in price, I don't know that I'll be going back to Choice. That being said, I'm a steak three or four nights during the week kind of guy and it's getting to be a bit much firing up a kettle everyday and not being able to sit on the couch because I smell like smoke. I love the charcoal flavor(Stubb's) and I swear each steak is better than the last, but I think a gasser would make things a lot less hectic in the evenings.

My question is will I be disappointed in the flavor, or lack thereof, of food(ESPECIALLY BEEF) on a gasser. This early in the season, folks are almost giving them away on Craigslist, so I can almost set my own price point and wait on one I like. I'm going to look a Genesis Gold with side burner for $100 tomorrow. Some will say get a Performer, but I'd still need to take a shower before dinner to keep the charcoal/smoke smell out of the furniture.

Is it really apples and oranges when comparing steak on gas vs. coal?

I have been using a Genesis 310 for 4 years and can not tell the difference in short, high heat cooks. Remember your restaurants are using gas for steaks. I did pick up a Weber smokey mountain because I was disappointed in anything that took longer than a half hour. The genesis is an awesome grill and you will not be disappointed. The parts are bulletproof and service is awesome.

i do mine on charcoal or in a cast iron skillet. no real reason though. if yer headed to a gasser i suggest looking at the q series.

A gasser gets a seasoning on it just as other out door cooking equipment. A good seasoned gas grill makes great steaks and burgers and has a great smell while cooking. Just ask my Genesis.

^^^ Ditto what Jeff just said. People love my chow made on the Genesis. For steaks where I get the grill HOT, I much prefer the porcelain cast iron grates over the stainless grates.

I use gas and charcoal and they both definitely have a place at our house. Personally, I prefer to do steaks over charcoal but the actual taste difference between gas and charcoal for a supermarket cut of steak that you are doing with a normal high heat sear is minimal IMO. Now, doing a really thick cut or doing stuff like Tri Tip and using smoke to flavor during a low and slow with a reverse sear, charcoal wins hands down. Same basic principles apply to chicken and pork. All this is assuming that you are getting a quality gasser that has good grease control like Webers do. Gas really shines when making veggies and fish. Go for it.

I'll definitely be getting a Weber; I've given myself a limit of $150 for an older Genesis and if I like it, I may go up to $500 for an older Summit Gold or Platinum. I actually have a NG line on my house, but it's not up to code as there's no outdoor shutoff. The gas runs directly to an old school post-mounted grill with lava rocks(and a wasps' nest) inside. Don has a good point in that I do need to add some fish to my diet, I've been out of college for over 15 years, so I probably need to stop looking like an Offensive Tackle; that being said it's hard to beat grilled Sword, Tuna and Dolphin(Mahi-mahi) i.e. fish that tastes like meat!

I recommend a cast iron griddle for the fish. I love a good all over sear on my tilapia. The wife got me he weber one that takes the place of the grate. I also have a stainless steel pan and basket which is great for veggies. I can not wait for fresh veggies to come in.

I'll second the suggestion for a cast iron cookware. Start your steaks on that to get an overall sear and then transfer to the grates to get some fat dripping smoke love. Mmm, I want steak now.

We used ours for daughters graduation parties. As long as the fare is simple it's a cinch. You can put a lot of food on a Genny. If you want to get more complicated like different kinds of foods and different styles/flavors i.e. you want ribs with smoke but you also want to grill veggies (where smoke would make them taste weird) or you need to be making a desert (like say grilled fruit) than multiple grills are easier. I have 3 gassers and there are many times all 3 are used for a meal

I have a family of 7 and cook on the Genesis about 3 times a week without a capacity issue. The thing will hold a ton of food. That being said I also have a WSM and a OTG kettle in case they are neede.

I just bust out my second-tier grate if I need more space than my stock Genesis (2011) provides.

Last edited:
good to know. i'm trying to get my head around buying a grill that expensive given you can get a larger charbroil for half the price, but I really would prefer the weber.

good to know. i'm trying to get my head around buying a grill that expensive given you can get a larger charbroil for half the price, but I really would prefer the weber.

The difference is you'll probably wind up replacing part of, if not the entire grill, in a few years with a less expensive brand. And that assumes the parts will still be the same and/or available in a few years. My father-in-law is thinking about a new grill to replace his current 8 year old Genesis, and he keeps complaining about the cost of the Webers. For a few hundred bucks he could easily replace the burners, grates, and flavorizer bars with upgraded stainless steel versions and have a grill that will easily last another 8-10 years.

When I bought mine a guy approached me in the store and said he wished his 18 year old Genesis would die so he could get another one. The firebox is warrantied for25 years and the burners for 10. How many sets of burners will you go through on a Char Broil? If it is too much the Ducanes and Spirits are another option. You at least get Weber service and support.

In 5 years the Charbroil will be close to ready for the dump and the Weber will still be like new. Been there, done that.

Just look at the crap sold from CB and others. Oh sure it's BIG and has LOTS of burners and will suck down thousands of $$$ worth of gas in a heartbeat. But in the end it's still Chinese made junque that will become a piece of rotted out scrap metal in a year or two. No matter how well you care for it. Your Weber will be there for your grand children just as my little grand son is now "wanting to help papa cook". At over 20 years old list of replacement stuff from original. 1 burner, 1 ignitor, 1 set of grates (went to SS) and 1 set of flavorizer bars (again went to SS). If it had been equipped with SS in the first place I would STILL be on the originals. Yeah I paid over $500 for it 21+ years ago but it's still right there on my deck, used almost daily. Say that for a CB or any of the other pretenders

How about a used one?

I just picked up a Genesis Silver C off of Craigslist for $50. The cook box had holes in it; called up Weber customer service and they shipped me a new one under warranty. An additional $150 for other needed parts and a good cleaning and I have a grill I will be cooking on for at least another ten years, I hope. I don't know where I would find another grill for $200 that is built like a Weber. You can tell the difference between Weber and the competition if you look at them closely in the stores.

I am loving my new to me Weber Genesis; the support from Weber is fantastic and the parts are readily available for repairs/refurbishment.

You won't be sorry if you purchase a new one or a used one!

Back