Considering a Jumbo Joe

Dave Mazz

TVWBB Super Fan
Problem is, I'd like to see one in person, to get a sense of the volume between the cooking grate and the underside of the lid. The reason for considering a Jumbo Joe, is to take with on our Christmas trek to northern Wisconsin, in December. Plan on cooking a prime rib for Christmas Dinner.

Would the under lid area on a standard 18" kettle be similar to the Jumbo Joe? Anyone with a Jumbo Joe know if a 7-8 lb prime rib roast would still enable seating the lid on a Jumbo Joe, with at least an inch or two of clearance?

Don't have a rib roast handy, but I did just put a 7.6 lb frozen butt on the JJ, it fits when positioned just right with hardly any clearance. The measurement from the grate to the lid 4.5" or just a tad under, in the center. My 18 kettle measure just under 5.5" in the center.

I have a jumbo joe and I think your headroom is fine for a rib roast. Just guessing 5" to 6" +/-. My concern would be maintaining heat and not torching that bad boy.

Personally I would buy an 18" kettle, put the ash bucket on it, and then do a midget mod. You get all of the advantages of a regular kettle, but it is a little bit bigger to travel with. If I was going to go with something similar to a Jumbo Joe, I would look for an Outrider (the predecessor of Jumbo Joe) because it mimics the bowl of a regular 18" more so than the shallow Jumbo Joe. The only disadvantage is that the top grate is an odd sizing that has to be ordered direct from Weber or Killa Grilla for SS.

Here is a link showing other peoples Midget Mods for inspiration.

Here is some more info on the Outrider so you can compare it to the Jumbo Joe.

I like the idea of the midget 18, especially as how I have one I don't use that isn't selling. I'd go for it if I thought it would survive long trips in the uncovered bed of the truck.

I like the idea of the midget 18, especially as how I have one I don't use that isn't selling. I'd go for it if I thought it would survive long trips in the uncovered bed of the truck.

Bob, if you could find a barrel/tub/bucket that you could sit it in so the weight was supported by the bowl or under the lip of the bowl and not the legs. Some foam pipe insulation on the rim would prevent damage to the bowl and a bungee cord or strap over the top to hold the lid on. I think the object is to take the weight off the legs so the leg sockets don’t break off and distribute it around the bowl.
Just a thought.

That's a thought. I'll write down the measurement and see what I come across in the stores I stop at. Not many of those these days, pretty much only go into a store if I have to.

Back