Condensation inside WSM?

Dave Z

Hi folks,

First, great site and great forum - so helpful to have. Big thanks to all involved with it...

I live in the UK and get a ton of water inside my WSM between uses. I have a proper cover on it so I am guessing it is condensation from the WSM heting up and then colling down in the humid English climes?

I decided to drill a hole in the bottom of the WSM so it can drain. Hopefully this is ok. Anyone else have this issue?

Many thanks!

Dave

I can see how condensation could be a problem as I live on the wet side of the Cascades.
Climate is similar to the UK, I'm told.
I store my WSM in a covered patio area with all of the vents open.

If you are getting that much water inside, drilling the drain hole is a good solution I think.
If you get too much air bleed from it when cooking you could plug it with a high temp silicone plug.
These are generally rated for 5-600F.

It could be rain water if its outside. Flip the center section when not in use. It will shed the water instead of catching water.

The cover is not waterproof. You can also place a trash bag over the WSM before you put the cover on and it will help.

If your sure it's not rain water, then you could either remove the door, or open some of the vents to allow air to flow through it and help dry it out. just would have to worry about critters.

It's usually rain water coming in through the seams in the cover. You can use seam sealer to fix the cover. You can bag the cover as Miguel says. You can flip the middle section as Earl says. You can move it to a sheltered location. You're not the first to drill a weep hole in the bowl. But you do need to prevent moisture because you will get mold inside and then have to clean that out.

Back