Condensation forming on hopper lid interior

Kev K

Has anyone had condensation form on the inside of the pellet hopper lid and start to run down the backside towards the pellets during a cook? I experienced this last night. Maybe it was a fluke of environmental factors and the temp I was running at (54F at 6 PM, 43F at 11 PM, temp still dropping, RH 64%; grill at 500F for 1.5 hours). I only found 2 pellets affected by the moisture, but it still concerns me.

I think this is the third instance I’ve heard of this in nine months. Each time the outside temp was low and the humidity was up. I haven’t experienced this in Florida.

Thanks Lew! It got damp enough on the inside of the lid that the labels started to peel. Stands to reason that it's a potential hazard in certain weather conditions with the exhaust flowing out right there. I took a few pics, guess I'll send them to Weber just to see what they say.

(edit to add pics)
condensation1.jpg

condensation2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Lew! It got damp enough on the inside of the lid that the labels started to peel. Stands to reason that it's a potential hazard in certain weather conditions with the exhaust flowing out right there. I took a few pics, guess I'll send them to Weber just to see what they say.

(edit to add pics)
View attachment 26577

View attachment 26578
Could it be damp pellets? Do you keep them outside? I often have a little smoke coming back up through the box, but have never seen water.

Back