Concrete driveway exploded under my chimney!

I posted previously in one of the threads from Doug's link. Just to add to it, my driveway was less than a year old. My understanding is that the concrete here is formulated for it's purpose, i.e., driveway concrete is different than sidewalk concrete, etc. because of the cold weather. My driveway was a 4" thick solid concrete driveway with no topping or stones. I had started a chimney of charcoal in the side yard and once fully involved, moved it to where my WSM was but had forgotten to remove the center section and had to set the chimney down. It took less than 10 seconds but in that time, the heat from the chimney popped a divot out of my driveway. Mine was about 4" in diameter, much smaller than Greg's and since the driveway was new, it was much less noticable as well.

Greg, yours is nearly picture perfect!!
icon_cool.gif

Bill

If only my wife appreciated a nice BBQ scar as much as the fine folks here on TVWBB!

I did, however, redeem myself today. Last week, it was do-you-really-know-what-you-are-doing-if-the-driveway-is-exploding. But after smoking two 5-lb butts today, it's now I-am-so-impressed-with-everything-you've-been-able-to-make-with-the-smoker. Inviting over the inlaws for the pulled pork dinner didn't hurt either.

Here are some photos of today's butts. You will be pleased to know that no driveways were harmed in the creation of this dinner:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=s4khwvx.a1n29ynx&x=0&y=-6hr2ch

Greg

Try setting your chimney on asphalt sometime. I've never done it but I saw a some other guys do it a few weeks ago. I advised against itbut they chose not to listen. Have you ever seen asphalt burn? It's tough to put out once it gets going.

That would be the result of moisture trapped in the pores of the concrete. Concrete will absorbs a good amount of moisture and can result in cracking during freezing temps and as in your case an explosion. The steam and resulting pressure had to go somewhere and the path of least resistance was up. Looks cool though. Wives just don't understand those kinds things. Look on the bright side you could put water in it and make a birdbath or a drinking hole for stray animals. LOL. The redemption pics are fantastic. Way to go on the grub. I have used pavers under my chimmney and wonder if those things could shatter too?

Concrete does not stand up to high heat. I learned that in high school, trying to weld on stuff laying on the driveway. POW! Cutting torch won't work,either.
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_eek.gif

THat was chert that popped out. In wisconsin we use low chert crete instead of regular 3/4 stone on outdoor work when people want to pay for it. THen your drive shouldn't pop.

Interesting, glad to hear only the driveway was damaged.
I also have a wooden deck. I found a small flat botton charcoal grill with legs ( I think I paid $1 for it). I put my chimmey in that and use it right on the deck. So, far no problems.

I have had the concrete problem too, despite reading about it on here a couple of years ago!
I used to light my chimney on my 18" grill, then I got a performer and sent the 18"er out on permanent loan.
Recently I got a rotiss on ebay - lit the chimney on the performer and set up for rotiss.
After a while I needed to light another part chimney and realised I would have to remember the pre-performer days and got some newspaper, setting the chimney up on the concrete I returned to some small scale popping and bits of conrete flying. I did wonder how best to stop it and opted for a garden hose drenching, half expecting drama but calm was restored.

My first WSM cook, was also ruined by lighting the chimney and resting it on the driveway. No explosion though, it just appears as a few coal fell thru and burned a hole in my drive.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Soli:
Can a chimeny be left on Asphalt? I would think that too would explode. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Short answer - no No <span class="ev_code_RED">NO</span>

Long answer - <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kirk Boorman:
Try setting your chimney on asphalt sometime. I've never done it but I saw a some other guys do it a few weeks ago. I advised against itbut they chose not to listen. Have you ever seen asphalt burn? It's tough to put out once it gets going. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

this happened to me before

i was at a park, chimney was on the concrete next to teh grill...

after the charcoals were hot, i lifted the chimney and maybe 20 secnods later the gronud exploded...

i was right next to it... with a bnuch of people, luckily no one was hurt... good bit of chunk of concrete was missing

really loud bang too

This is all contrary to what I learned on from the movie "Volcano" where Tommy Lee Jones stops the flow of lava with concrete k-rails. Now what are we supposed to use when a volcano erupts in the middle of Los Angeles?

Back