Composite decking

Reggie Grubbs

Are there any concerns with having my new WSM on a composite deck? I have a screened porch with a small 6x14 deck area outside the screened area for grilling. I have my Genesis Silver out there and was planning to put my WSM there as well.

That is the most convenient area for me but I'm a little concerned with how the composite decking will take the heat since the WSM heat source is so close the the deck. I'm also concerned with all night smokes.

My other option is to get some large pavers and create a place in my yard away from the house. Don't really want to go that route but I will if I have to. There is always the driveway as well but that is not a permanent option.

Any thoughts?

I have mine on a wooden deck with no problem. The heat shield takes all radiant heat. And the wood under it dont even get warm to-toutch.

What about insulating the bottom on that heatshield at the base? You wouldn't even know its there, and I bet you can find some cheap paintable insulation at a home improvement store. No extra parts either!

The heat shield will protect your deck from any direct heat from your WSM.
Composite decking gets pretty darn hot just sitting out in direct sun-lite.
If you use a grill matt, pavers or a metal pan, just be sure to move them around a bit.
Surface contact traps moisture on any deck, and composite decking will fail faster than a wood deck.

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">any issues with ash or hot coals coming out of the bottom vents? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
any issues with ash or hot coals coming out of the bottom vents?

In my experience, and most others I read about, there is not a need to have the bottom vents open at all. Open the top one 1/4 to 1/2 and it should operate fine. I do have a electronic contoller taking up one hole of one of the bottom vents but I never open the others, never.

I'm sure you will get some more comments on this one, and I welcome them. The more the merrier. Good luck. I agree. Put the pavers where you really want your smoker.

I plan to follow the beginner chicken and beginner rib recipes this weekend. Both of those call for all vents 100% open for the entire cook.

I think the plan at the moment is to get some pavers and set up a small place in the yard off the deck just to be safe.

Thanks for the input everyone!

"any issues with ash or hot coals coming out of the bottom vents?" If you are using briqs - NO...Lump well havent happend to me yet but - YES(during the ignition)

I have 2 bags of cowboy lump, but I plan to head to Home Depot this afternoon and stock up on the Kingsford sale, look for some fruit woods, and hopefully get some pavers to place the WSM on.

Reggie,

Yes I have grease/oil seep down the side of the WSM and out a vent, but only when I have a lot of pork butt on there. But why risk it ? Composite is not cheap!

If I am smoking on surface I care about, I put down a grill mat, which runs about ~$20 at HD or Lowes. Like mentioned above, I would move it around other it will get water trapped under it. It would be fine for a couple days though.

Back