Competition Pork Ribs

andrew j murphy

Does anyone out there brine their competition pork ribs? What about adding rub if you are saucing later? How much rub?And do you use a mop? How much/when?

General competition answers... I am working my way towards competitions.

Hi Andrew,
Welcome to the board! Regarding your questions:

1. There may be some teams brining or possibly marinading their ribs but based on my own experience the texture of the meat can get really mushy and the ribs take on more of a ham taste. I prefer not to brine or marinade.
2. Don't over do the rub. I usually give the ribs a light dusting on both sides, let them sit for an hour and then lightly dust both sides again before they go on the smoker.
3. Use of a mop is a personal preference. Some teams do it, others don't. Personally, I don't mop my ribs but I do spritz them with a small amount of white grape or apple juice and some honey if I decide to wrap them in foil for a bit.

The best thing you can do is to experiment and see what you like best. There is alot of great advice and information on this board as well.

Good luck!

Andrew,
I foil my ribs for part of the cooking process and use some liquid (apple juice, sauce, honey)when I foil. I find no need to brine ribs and have never done it. Not saying you can't - just that I am happy with whay I get when I foil. Regards.

Andrew,

I don't brine or mop ribs. I usually do spares; more meaty. I make my own rubs and rarely are 2 ever the same. I will use a fair amount (how much is that?) of rub on them and let them sit for a few hours to over night wrapped in plastic. A fair amount is a healthy coating on each side; most of the meat covered. I replied to your other post in 'Recipe requests...' for the other questions.

Paul

If the rub you use contains a lot of salt, I would add rub right before you put the ribs in the smoker or you might have ham on a stick.

We put an even coat of rub on our ribs, fairly heavy. We dont brine them. Sometimes we will add rub after a few hours to cover any ugly blotches.

a dusting of rub towards the end of the cook will revive the flavor of some of the spices that don't do so well in the heat.

Back