Company BBQ Sugestions

elmo

TVWBB Fan
At the company where i work, we will be having our first BBQ of the summer on May 20th and they put me in charge of the planning and the cooking.

I love to cook so I look forward to this company BBQ which takes place once a month, until the snow falls down again.

So last year, we used to have just burgers and hot dogs and they have a gas bbq to cook on.

This year, i want to make things better and show my colleagues that there is more to BBQ than a gas grill and burgers and hot dogs.

So that day, i will be bringing to work my 18.5 WSM and maybe my performer too.

I just need suggestions on what to cook.

I will be going to work early that day so i can start the cooking at 9 am and food has to be ready at 4:30 pm.

I thought about turkey on the WSM and some indirect heat chicken legs on the performer.

I dont have much experience with the WSM other than with turkey.

By the way, our company budget is about $300 for the food and I need to feed about 30 folks.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Pork butts, cook them before hand and pull and then reheat at work. Serve on buns with slaw and sauce on the side. You should be able to do four butts in one cook, five or six if you put one or two on the performer. Throw in some beans and potato salad and you have a feast!

I agree with RDW. Boston butt would be the easiest to cook and most cost efficient. You could also find pork shoulder picnics for less than $1/lb. Plan on anywhere from 10-16hr cooktime however for both depending on size. You can pull them apart when they're done, mix with sauce, and serve in big bowls... buns on the side incase people just want to take a fork to it.

I concur. Butt is easily the best way to feed a lot of people, plus you do;t have to cook so much at the picnic. If you want to cook there, you might consider a whole boat of chicken thighs.

Another vote for Pulled Pork. Cook ahead of time, re-heat on the gasser in covered foiled pans with a little sauce (or at home before hand).

Also consider Pulled Chicken! I do this for the Church picnic to backup the pork. Just get a bunch of boneless, skinless thighs, grill them, then chop 'em up.

Pulled Beef would also be a consideration. Chuck roll would be good for this.

I would pass on the Turkey. IMO, there's too much going on and too much distraction and too much work. By 4:30 you'll be exhausted!

Do as much work in advance as possible. Bring your WSM just for show and atmosphere and to do some little samplers like mini-ABT's.

Pulled pork for sure.

Two other easy things are brats bathing in onions and beer or kraut.... And don't forget the fatties. They are easy, and keep well. Focus on things with a large window to serve.

Pulled pork is perfect.

Sorry guys, i forgot to mention one important thing that i actually cant cook any pig meat during this bbq for religious reason.

Is there anything beef that can replace a pork butt in terms of quality, taste and quantity of hungry mouth to feed?

Also, I know that pork ribs are loved by many on the WSM. Would there be any kind of beef ribs that can be as good on the WSM?

Did anyone do chicken drumsticks on the WSM before? Was wondering about how long those would take on the WSM?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by elmo:
Is there anything beef that can replace a pork butt in terms of quality, taste and quantity of hungry mouth to feed?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you haven't done a chuck roll before...do it! They are great. Basically makes pulled beef instead of pulled pork. Lots of suggestions on this board for cooking options.

I think that beef ribs are a great idea. If you can find a butcher who will get English style short ribs uncut you have great dinosaur ribs. I love to cook beef ribs and your time frame will work. You could also do a tri tip which will feed a lot of folks and not take too long. Get some fresh tortillas and go Mehicano. Oh, are non-employee guests welcome? Sounds good!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by elmo:
Sorry guys, i forgot to mention one important thing that i actually cant cook any pig meat during this bbq for religious reason.

Also, I know that pork ribs are loved by many on the WSM. Would there be any kind of beef ribs that can be as good on the WSM?

Did anyone do chicken drumsticks on the WSM before? Was wondering about how long those would take on the WSM? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chuck roast is the beef equivalent of a pork shoulder.

Chuck roll for sure. Pull it just like pulled pork. It's amazing! Great info on this site, but a lot like a pork butt. Drumsticks sound cool. Wings are always good too.

'Twer it me, i'd be doing a few chuck roasts, not a whole roll, and then some roadside drumsticks. The drumsticks will look incredible, as well as having fantastic flavor. The chuck is my go-to beef selection for a crowd, MUCH easier to plan for quantity than brisket, and way less touchy to get it done right. Plus, if you do it high heat, like I do, you can easily cook it at work and have it hot right off the cooker for the folks to come and eat, instead of re-heating, which just doesn't turn me on. For chuck, I smoke at 300-325 until I like the looks of the bark, and then I put it in foil pans with peppers and onions on the bottom until they are fork tender. The whole process is about 4 hours normally, which would give you plenty of time. Since you have a performer to use, you could do the roadside on there, and then some other ones on the gasser to get enough of them. Since its 30, you could do 30 legs, and couple with a few slabs 'o chuck, you would have plenty of food, and a good wow factor as well. Few things are as pretty as the smoke ring that you can get on a chuck roast.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">'Twer it me, i'd be doing a few chuck roasts, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ditto.

i am so happy i am doing this bbq as i am learning a lot in the process.

Guys, what is the difference between a chuck roll and a chuck roast?

is the roll the same piece of meat but just bigger.

I went to Costco today and got some fresh air chilled drumsticks that look great. Also got fresh lean ground turkey meat.

I am planning to make turkey burgers with the turkey meat.

Does anyone know of a good turkey burgers recipe and cooking method? This will be my first attempt with fresh turkey burgers from ground meat up, i am so excited
icon_smile.gif

About the drumsticks, what is the method/recipe for the roadside way? I also have a smokenator that i never tried yet. Should i use that with performer and drumsticks?

Last weekend, i did some drumsticks on performer, indirect at about 350F and took 45 mins.

So i have the stuff i got today in the fridge and some frozen chicken breasts are thawing. I am planning to brine the drumsticks and chicken breasts tomorrow and will only be able to brine them overnight. Any good brining recipe for these?

And can the ground turkey meat be brined too?

It is going to be a lot of preparation work tomorrow night, after work
icon_smile.gif

Guys, what is the difference between a chuck roll and a chuck roast?

is the roll the same piece of meat but just bigger.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
As I understand it, the Chuck Roll is the larger chunk of meat that the Chuck Roasts are cut from.

I luv this site, quite detailed - http://www.beefinnovationsgroup.com/

Chuck Roll Schematic - http://www.beefinnovationsgrou...ematic_v3_120409.pdf

Chuck Roll Cutting Guide Videos - http://www.beefinnovationsgrou..._chuckrollvideo.aspx

Chuck Roll Cutting Guide Video Part One - http://www.beefinnovationsgrou...s/BIG/1.%20Intro.wmv

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
And can the ground turkey meat be brined too?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No. Mix in some rub when you make the patties.

Elmo,

As for the chuck(s), yes, a roll is the primal from which the roasts are cut from. Generally speaking, a ROLL cook is an overnighter since they generally are not smaller than ~16-18# and can get up to the 30# range. The roasts you can do much much quicker, 4-4.5 hours and still end up with the same result, delciious pulled beef! And, the price is right on it, your Costco ought to have some nice chuck roasts in the 4# range, a few of those and you'll have a happy crowd. As for the drummers, do a search for roadside chicken on here, its VERY easy to do, and yields some beautiful chicken. It's a combination marinade/baste, but its the same mixture for both steps, which is convenient. It requires quite a bit of basting, so you'll really look like a grill master too with the sizzling and the smoking and all that. As for the turkey burgers, you're on you own on that one, sorry brother. Feathered friends and burgers are not a specialty of mine!

Back