Common reasons for dry brisket???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve G
For competitions the section of brisket I would use for the turn-in is the flat that has point over it when you look at fat side up, the section of exposed flat is good but not as good that protected section. What you found is just what you should expect to find.
Jim

Would one be okay cooking brisket the night before, foiling, refriderating, then serving the following night? I'm sure it'd be better kept warm and served, but logistics won't allow it. I've done a pork shoulder before and that turned out fine reheated but recognize there's a lot more fat and connective tissue in pork shoulder than with brisket. Would this be somewhat a waste of money or would it turn out well enough to do it and serve the next day?

Karl
If you are going to cool down, don't foil till it's cool, will take to long to cool otherwise.
I did a brisket last Thursday along with 4 chuck rolls and a couple of butts (giving rolls and butts as Christmas gifts). I cooled evrything and then packaged.

We had the brisket on Saturday and the only one that complained was my grandson who goes to competitions with me. Said it wasn't up to competition level but he figured the reheat caused that condition, I may be creating a monster.
Jim

Jim it sounds like you have a future judge on your hands.
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for that info. I am going to a friends house New years eve. I am planning on taking a brisket and a butt along with ribs. I wanted to do the ribs so they were fresh off the WSM and do the butt and brisket the before. Actually I may do it so the butt and brisket come off and then to the ribs right after. It just keeps my options open.

I have both a brisket and a butt that I foodsavered (look at me verbing a proper noun) and froze. Carrying them to the in-laws tomorrow and reheating on Wednesday. Will give y'all a report on how good this is.

I was looking for a reason to post these pics! Here's a brisket and some ribs I cooked last weekend. http://community-2/webtv.net/rick-kramer/FirstAttemptBrisket I cooked it fat side down and rested it fat side up. Turned out pretty good for a first attempt.
I'm currently smoking two 8 lb butts (w/Guru). {Meat temp/122* Smoker temp/233} At 6:00am I'm going to put a brisket in the other WSM (no Guru), and put spare ribs on the top grates of both smokers. Around noon I'll remove all the ribs (6 hrs), check the brisket (6 hrs), and check the butts (13 hrs). Depending on doneness, I'll go from there. Plus I'll have one more full grate of spares to do. The wife brought home 9 full slabs of spares and said I have to cook em! By far this is my biggest cook ever. I've got the WSMs loaded for the long haul and all the thermometers callibrated and placed. The weather is going to be especially nice for this time of year, 42* overnight, low 50s by noon. I've got a plan, let's see if it works!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Rick

Nice set of pics, Rick! Well done! I noticed you use more smokin' wood than most folks do. You must really love a heavy smoke flavor. Reading this thread and seeing how fine your meat turned out has me thinking I'm going to have to try my hand at a brisket. I've only done a couple, and the results were so-so, so I've mostly stuck to pork over the last couple of years.

As a follow up, the brisket and the pork butt that I had foodsaved and frozen, I followed the advice on this board and thawed gently then put in "steaming" water on the stove for about 45 minutes. The bride said that they were probably better than their smoker mates that were eaten (after a respectful rest period). One thing that I noticed is that the rub on the brisket was milder after freezing (or did I just miss the heavy hand with the rub on this one?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back