Commercial bbq

Larry D.

TVWBB Emerald Member
I had an interesting visit to a commercial bbq plant today.
They buy pork butts in 2,000 pound casks, slow cook them in gas-fired pits, remove the bones by hand. The butts are then "pulled" in a machine, or chopped, and mixed with one of their several types of sauce. The finished product is packed in 5-pound plastic containers for sale to groceries and restaurants. I'd never seen so many pork butts in one place at one time. And not a single one gets exposed to any real smoke; they add liquid smoke to the sauce. So, it's interesting, but "it ain't 'cue."

Larry, Sounds like an interesting experience you had at that palant. All them Butts being misstreated like that. That's why we do our own.
icon_biggrin.gif

Larry, the plant wouldn't happen to be Hesmers or B & B would it? If it was they used to be down the street from where I used to work. The pitmasters allowed me to have all the ends and slabs of hickory with bark on them . I got a tour also. Pretty interesting. They guy who gave the tour told me he had put on at least 15 pounds since working there. They just pull off a hunk of pork after it comes out of the cooker and eat it. They had these roll out multi level carts full of pork butt. pretty impressive.

Vernon, since my employer has a business relationship with the plant, I don't want to be too specific about its identity. Paul, no, it isn't either of the ones you mentioned. But yes, the butts do go into the cooker on those multi-level carts. As far as I could tell, nobody eats within the preparation areas (I think the USDA inspector would frown on that, to put it mildly). The plant was scrupulously clean, and I was very positively impressed with the entire operation. Other than the liquid smoke part, of course, but that probably doesn't matter to their customers.

Back