Combination Smoke

Mark Dietrich

TVWBB Member
Crazy night in the garage. My plan was to do some sort of brisket along with a couple of shoulders to pad the supply in the freezer. As I was prepping I heard from the neighbor, who had a couple of venison roasts that he was willing to have me experiment with. Experiment is definitely the word, since I have a total of, um, let's see...ZERO experience with venison. So the cook looked like this: two shoulders and two small venison roasts on the bottom, and a 7 lb brisket flat on the top, to hopefully drip all over everything else.

After consulting the forums (thank you, Kevin), I aimed for 130 on the two roasts, which ended up taking less than two hours. I was stunned. Foiled them once they came off, and rested for half an hour before I invited the owner back over to see what we had. They were stunning. A beautiful medium, juicy, and melt-in-your-mouth. I didn't know venison could do that.

Brisket was next, in almost exactly 12 hours. This included a crazy last hour, when I had to basically reload the fire. Took a while to settle down, and ran on the hot side (250-275) the rest of the way. Here's what I got.

P1050036.JPG

Two hours after that, both shoulders were at 190. They're resting now. Can't wait to pull. How many pounds of pork do you suppose one could eat while pulling? I may go for the record. Possibly after a nap.

Cheers,

Back