Colorado Newbie

Eddie M

Hello, Im eddie M from Denver, co. Been lurking for a few months, pulled the trigger on a 14.5 and a 18.5 wsm. Would like some info on which A.T.C. to buy, stoker wifi II, or Auber? Any smokers from denver, or Co, any input you give would be greatly appreciated. Happy smokin !

thank you ,enrico

Thank you, Enrico
Hello, Im eddie M from Denver, co. Been lurking for a few months, pulled the trigger on a 14.5 and a 18.5 wsm. Would like some info on which A.T.C. to buy, stoker wifi II, or Auber? Any smokers from denver, or Co, any input you give would be greatly appreciated. Happy smokin !

Eddie,

You might do yourself a nice service learning to control temps in the WSM without digital assistance at first. I smoked on my WSM18 for years and years in Colorado until I built an ATC for competing. Welcome to the board!

Dave

You ever play golf out at Green Valley Ranch? Love that track!

Hi, Dave. I'm up in Cheyenne currently sharing in some of this arctic blast with you guys. Current temp is a balmy 5 degrees. Might see -5 tonight. My WSM is sadly tucked away for a couple weeks.

I've played Green Valley Ranch quite a bit. Love that track. Northern Colorado is an underrated golf mecca.

on your ATC question, I have a pitmaster IQ120 and love it. I'd never go back to running a WSM without an ATC. My guess is that all of the products in that market are pretty similar and will work great for you. I just picked one that had a good sale price at the time and went with it. And I also had to learn that an ATC isn't a perfect "set it and forget it" experience. I still have to make sure every once in a while that my heat isn't running too high and I have to be fairly careful with how I load the WSM with charcoal and set the vents depending on whether I want a high heat or low and slow cook.

Glad you joined this board. It's a great resource.

Thanks Dave

You ever play golf out at Green Valley Ranch? Love that track!

Although I do live in Green Valley Ranch, I haven't golfed yet. Ive been smoking on a OTG 26.75, & a Jumbo Joe. Thanks for the welcome, Dave. Auber, Cyber Q wifi, Stoker wifi II ? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Happy Smoking!

Thanks Cliff. People on this site seem to be really nice, and are very forthcoming with information. Thanks again, keep on smoking!

Welcome to the group Eddie. Like Dave said your probably better off learning to cook without the ATC. Heck I think your better off learning to cook without a thermometer let alone fancy temperature devices.

Hola Eddie,
I use a 22 WSM and a PitMaster IQ-110 controller. Although lately I've just been going old school and using the vents. Both make great BBQ. Wanna experiment? Take out the water pan and cook chicken on the top grill. WSM get's really hot and chicken comes out great. Nice change every once in awhile.

Back