Cold weather cooking.

I have a chargriller pro with all kinds of mods. for temperature control and struggled badly with it when it was 40 degrees or below for years and gave up on smoking when it got cold. This is the first time that I tried to use my WSM with the temperatures below 40 degrees (mid 20's and snowing) and I am impressed with the results. Only thing different that I did was I full chimney starter and had a full ring of charcoal. I did spares and used more charcoal than normal but temperature control was as easy.

One amusing thing that I saw and wish I took a picture of it was when snow melted it would form brown icicles on the hanging probe wires for the notch on the side.

I just want to thank you all for the knowledge that I have gained from this site. The Q has never been better.

Congrats!
More fuel in colder weather is perfectly normal, just like your household heat bill :eek:
I know what you're saying about missing a photo-op, I ran mine with a dusting of snow on Christmas, the snow melted around the WSMs but I had little snow cirlces under the heat shields.

Back