Cold smoking to make King Salmon jerky

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
We were in Seattle this week and purchased some Salmon Jerky from the legendary Pikes Place Fish Market and it was REALLY good.

Hoping to emulate the result so I called to pick their brain and learn as much as I could.

They said this salmon is cold smoked for 34 hours to make the jerky. Never tried to cold smoke on my WSM but I have the Guru Cyber Q II so maybe its time to try. They also said the early season King is better because the water is colder and the fat content is higher.

Any ideas on a mild brown sugar Brine to try and what temp to cold smoke at?

Looking for any ideas and opinions on this as buying fresh King Salmon inthe Midwest isn't going to be cheap so while experimenting is fun on this one I hope to be at least close on the first couple tries.

It'll be a few days before I can do it as I have to find who is getting the freshest King Salmon here in Milwaukee and realized I'm out of Alder so going to have to order some.

If you want to cold smoke fish, keep the temp in the range between 60-77 degrees F.

I think you will struggle to keep that temp n a WSM for 34 hours. I have no idea how to do it without a thermostat heatsource and a cold smoke generator.

Go for it. It'll be fun and good training.
icon_smile.gif

Never did it myself, so easy for me to say.

Thanks J for the link. May have to pick one of those up. Is there a heat source (for cold weather smoking) or does it just generate smoke?
Dan

Dan-

It only generates smoke. You use a tea candle to start the sawdust smoldering. I have used mine to smoke cheese and make lox. It works great.

yup - i did not have a temp gauge during the cold smoke, but the thermometer in the lid of the WSM was all the way pegged to the left...

i assume it generates next to no heat at all

Back