Cold smoking in the WSM

AndyUK

Hi,

My usual setup for cold smoking is a ProQ cold smoke generator, and a box of some kind. I usually use a container around a third or a half the volume of a 18.5" WSM, I guess. When I've used the smoke generator in my WSM, the results have been disappointing - the smoke generator doesn't create enough smoke for the volume of the WSM.

What techniques / gadgets do you guys use to cold smoke in the WSM?

Cheers,

Andy

I also use the Pro-Q and put it in my mini-WSM. Works great for stuff that needs or wants zero heat. The first few times I didn't realize that the vents needed to be closed way down so all the smoke doesn't just vent out. I would assume that it would be the same story on an 18. I'll have to try it.

Russ

I use my Pro-Q on my weber kettle grill. I just set it on the charcoal grate on one side if I can, then put the cheese on the top grate over it and away from it with the vent over the cheese. This draws the smoke up and across the cheese. It has worked great for me. I have also done the cold smoke technique of using an electric burner in my 18" wsm with a pie pan full of chips on it. That worked quite well too, the Pro-Q is just easier.

Back