cold and windy weather cooking

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Under the cold weather cooking section of this website, there is mention of building an insulated enclosure, a wind screen, and wrapping the cooker with insulation. The first sentence reads " To protect the cooker from wind and very cold temperatures, some people wrap insulation around the Weber Bullet....It is placed around the cooking section......"
My confusion stems from the thought that insulation does not throttle the air flow going into the charcoal? intake vent. But a wind screen would. I live in a very windy area and this is a significant issue. Any thoughts from you pros out there?

Hi Roy,

The concensus is that wind is the problem most people have when it comes to operating their WSM. Wind can suck the heat right out of your cooker, or it can wreck havoc with the air vents in the bowl and actually drive up your temperature in some cases.

If wind if your problem, then you should fashion a wind screen like the one described on the Cold Weather Cooking page.

You don't need to worry so much about cold air tempertures unless they're dipping down into the teens.

Regards,
Chris

I built a 30"+30" box 4' tall with 3/4" foil back foam insulation.Cut a 4" sq hole in top And cut a 2"+4" knoch at the bottom of each side.Will keep wind off and raise the temp in the cooker.

[ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: Joe McFaden ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back