Coffee- tenderizer?

Tom Chips

TVWBB All-Star
I'm watching Food Network doing a special on a KCBS and ICS combined event at Mandalay Bay in Vegas. Part of the show is watching the chili folks, other part, the BBQ.

One old guy was on there talking about how he marinates his ribs ( and maybe other meats) in coffee, because it acts like a tenderizer and doesn't leave a taste. Just curious if anyone has heard of this before, or tried it.

I've heard of using coffee in a rub, but nothing like this before.

There is a steakhouse in Columbus, OH called Stoney River (Dublin actually) that has a steak thats been marinated in coffee and its freaking amazing.. Its their speciality, cant taste coffee at all and its insanely tender. Never heard of doing it to pork or anything though.

Here is a review about the steak there

"One of the more unusual offerings is something called a coffee-cured filet, which is just that: a 10-ounce filet that's been aged in a coffee-based brine. Our servers described the resulting flavor as more like hazelnut than coffee, but both flavors were in evidence on the seared faces, which had taken on an almost-black color but showed no semblance of a burnt flavor. The filet was finished in the oven, and the resulting texture was ideal, a knife pausing briefly as it cut through the top, then meeting just enough resistance on the rest of the way through. "

Full review here

I have used it many times for many different meats (and even poultry--duck and goose breasts, split poussins, game hens). It forms an acidic marinade (much like other acids, though, mostly, milder). Personally, I think it is overkill for ribs as far as tenderizing goes (they do not need 'tenderizing' whatsoever), but it can be useful in a marinade or brine-marinade when one wishes to impart other flavors effectively.

Note: The vast majority of acidic marinades (like their counterparts, enzymatic marinades) do not actually 'tenderize'. They denature proteins. There is no gradation. In other words, there is no point where the proteins become somewhat or slightly or partially denatured. They are or they are not. If they are not, nothing much has occured; if they are, then the meat is veering toward mushiness. Though you can time it so that just, say, the outer portions of the meat's protein are denatured and the acids have not gotten in further, still, then, the outer becomes mushy, the inner does not. There is no point where the entire hunk of meat becomes 'tender'. The exterior goes from its beginning state to denatured/mushy--and then this works its way in.

That said, there is a place for acidic marinades in terms of flavor and flavor development. There are also numerous ways to mask the destruction that acids can cause--to a point. If you keep the acid ratio relatively benign and watch the timing, protein integrity can be better maintained. It is imperative to understand the structure of the meat you are marinating and to design the marinade for that structure (a marinade for a rib-eye is not the same as a marinade for a chicken breast, in other words). If you keep the acids in check, you can design marinades that both flavor and add moisture to whatever it is you are marinating (like brining). Tenderizing, such as it is, is a product, then, of proper cooking (also like brining); it is not something that occurs to the meat ahead of time. (Does this make sense?)

Yes, but now you have me very curious about specific applications?

Any advice you want to throw this way. Maybe using pork tenderloin? Or a cheap cut of beef that would benefit?

Interesting addition, exactly as I was writing the first sentence of this reply, we got hit by a moderately strong earthquake. Lasted nearly a minute. Wow.

Sorry for the delay. A post I just made about yogurt and buttermilk just reminded me to get back here...

Try it on blade steaks and butterflied loin or double-cut chops. Tenderloin isn't a bad idea either, especially for cool little kabobs. For beef I like it especially for flank--but it would work for other cuts too.

Back