Coffee Beans what's in your grinder ???

As of this morning, my new blend (until I run out in a week) is 2/3 Paztun Finca La Florida (GUA) and 1/3 Flores Bajawa Albertus & Reti (IND) both roasted to Full City +. I decided on that blend ratio after brewing a cup of each solo with the Aeropress. The result has a nice balance of acidity, brightness, as well as the deeper nut and chocolate bittersweets I like in my Guatemalan coffees. I was going to name it, but since it will only be around for a week, I'll just call it "Week 11 2024" ;)

R

Gave up grinding my own. Static here in the high desert is bad so a big mess is guaranteed. Found a blend we really like though. Half Yuban & half Donut Shop.

Just finishing a bag of Peet's Major Dickasons and I pulled this from the cabinet. It's on deck. Have not had it since Starbucks stopped roasting this one for Costco. Will soon find out.
20240318_073031.jpg

Just finishing a bag of Peet's Major Dickasons and I pulled this from the cabinet. It's on deck. Have not had it since Starbucks stopped roasting this one for Costco. Will soon find out.
View attachment 87989
Waiting to find out. As I just bought a bag. But did not realize I had a bag of SFB French Roast squirreled away in my basement cabinet. Not expired but critical to get used BEFORE the Kirkland House Blend. I was REALLY looking forward to cracking that House Blend, but sadly it will have to wait.

Waiting to find out. As I just bought a bag. But did not realize I had a bag of SFB French Roast squirreled away in my basement cabinet. Not expired but critical to get used BEFORE the Kirkland House Blend. I was REALLY looking forward to cracking that House Blend, but sadly it will have to wait.
Will advise in the next 2-3 days. I just picked it up on Thursday along with another bag of Colombian Supremo. So 2 bags of Colombian Supremo, 1 bag of SF Bay Coffee Company French Roast and this House Blend on deck.
The SF Bay French roast might go to the beach. Have a little Mayorga Cubano roast left there...time to restock as we'll be spending more time there including Easter. Have a big group coming for Easter dinner there.

Will advise in the next 2-3 days. I just picked it up on Thursday along with another bag of Colombian Supremo. So 2 bags of Colombian Supremo, 1 bag of SF Bay Coffee Company French Roast and this House Blend on deck.
The SF Bay French roast might go to the beach. Have a little Mayorga Cubano roast left there...time to restock as we'll be spending more time there including Easter. Have a big group coming for Easter dinner there.
Would like to know your take compared to the Columbian Supremo. Both labeled as "Kirkland" and both as "medium dark" roast on the "scale" printed on the bags. So would really like to get a good comparison which was why I was so much looking forward to opening this bag right after finishing my CS bag currently opened. But, sadly the SF Bay FR is "in the way".

Would like to know your take compared to the Columbian Supremo. Both labeled as "Kirkland" and both as "medium dark" roast on the "scale" printed on the bags. So would really like to get a good comparison which was why I was so much looking forward to opening this bag right after finishing my CS bag currently opened. But, sadly the SF Bay FR is "in the way".
The Starbucks roasted House Blend was quite good. I used to ignore it as the green label always had me thinking it was decaf. So we'll see about the newer version which I suspect is roasted by SF Bay Coffee Company as is the Colombian Supremo...I believe.

OK, so I opened the Kirkland Signature House Blend and brewed a pot.
The beans are oily upon opening but not excessively so...similar to the Peet's Major Dickasons and the Colombian Supremo.
Overall, a smooth, well rounded, satisfying cup of coffee. Nothing that leaps out and it would make for a very good, everyday coffee...BUT, I would pick the Colombian Supremo over it as my everyday choice. The Colombian Supremo is a bit more robust and flavorful to both my wife and I. I would definitely buy it again just to mix things up a bit and it's a good value for fresh, whole bean coffee. Perhaps a better "warmer weather" blend if that makes sense. Worthy of a place in your inventory. Perhaps not the premier place.

Last edited:
OK, so I opened the Kirkland Signature House Blend and brewed a pot.
The beans are oily upon opening but not excessively so...similar to the Peet's Major Dickasons and the Colombian Supremo.
Overall, a smooth, well rounded, satisfying cup of coffee. Nothing that leaps out bu it would make for a very good, everyday coffee...BUT, I would pick the Colombian Supremo over it as my everyday choice. The Colombian Supremo is a bit more robust and flavorful to both my wife and I. I would definitely buy it again just to mix things up a bit and it's a good value for fresh, whole bean coffee. Perhaps a better "warmer weather" blend if that makes sense. Worth of a place in your inventory. Perhaps not the premier place.
OK, thanks. All good to know. Can't argue with the value too much at $10.99 for 2.5lb. Can't wait to dig into it

OK, thanks. All good to know. Can't argue with the value too much at $10.99 for 2.5lb. Can't wait to dig into it
Still keeping the Colombian Supremo as the overall go to with Major Dickasons alongside. The San Francisco Bay Coffee Company French Roast is very good too, but I'm not so sure the local Costco stocks it routinely. The Kirkland Signature French roast is only so-so in my book.

Yeah, kinda thinking same on Kirkland FR except I am not sure if it was because the bag I sampled was on the old side, because it was one I had squirreled away and then found at nearly the end of the expiration date. The SF Bay seems to come and go, and I noticed even stored in a cupboard in my cool basement it does not maintain taste and freshness very long.
Sadly I had been "stocking" up (some call it hoarding). Due to all the reports I would read of plandemic shortages of coffee particularly dark roasted coffee (though not sure why dark roasts primarily). Anyway not gonna be buying more than 2 bags at a time anymore. As I had been sort of "panic buying". Need my caffeine fix and I also want it to taste good.
Anyway I had not realized I'd bought a bag of SF Bay FR a while back and stashed it in a basement cupboard. But every time I am at Costco I have to fight this urge to go down that coffee aisle "just to browse" (same at Sam's) and then suddenly a bag or 2 will "jump" in my cart and I don't know how it got there :D

Well nothing jumped into my cart today but I saw an interesting one I had not considered before as I'd never given it a serious look. Anyone given this one a go? As now I see 3 different Kirkland labeled "medium dark roast"
1710880429230.jpeg

Same price as the 2.5lb bag of Columbian Supremo but 1/2 lb less coffee IIRC $1675 or close to it
I believe the least expensive is the Costco brand French roast. It's not very good. I think the House Blend is next...and it's good. The Colombian Supremo comes next...but it's 2.5lbs. worth every penny. San Francisco Bay Coffee Co. French roast id about $16 but for 3lbs a decent coffee and value.

Oddly when our Costco puts out SF Bay FR it's always at some ridiculously low price like $11 or so $$$ per bag. Sometimes even less. I've bought it at my Costco for as little as $9 bag many times. Tell ya at those prices it takes every ounce of willpower for me to just not fill my cart. But it goes "off" so quickly I hate buying even 2 bags.
I am going to have to try vacuum sealing again. Last time I did we had used the Kirkland brand vacuum bags. Gotta tell ya they are absolute garbage. Just about every bag my wife sealed up for our freezer stashes has opened up and leaked.
From now on only buying Food Saver bags period. Stuff costs too much to take chances on horse^&it bags. We buy the FS brand and they just work. And now Costco is not even selling the FS brand anymore! :mad:
Maybe I can stock up a little if the vacuum sealing keeps them good

Well, I had to open a new bag of coffee yesterday. Sadly I REALLY wanted to try the Kirkland House Blend in the white with greenish lettering bag (med/dark roast). But, on a trip to my basement cupboard I found a bag of SF Bay FR. I guess I'd bought it when I was squirrelling away (hoarding) coffee due to all the (false) scare news about severe shortages, price spikes to $20 lb and so on.
IDK how long that bag was down there, unnoticed until I went to look for some pasta. I'd stashed it where I normally stashed dried pasta. So, IDK how old it is other than the expiration date was last month :( It's not terrible tasting but it's certainly not all that good.
One thing I have noticed about coffee that is not good to begin with or has gone south due to age, is the deficiencies really come out when used in a drip machine, and tend to not be so bad when used for espresso. Because yesterday I pulled a shot with it and it was not bad so I thought I "dodged a bullet".
Guess I will have to experiment with the Breville and see if I can get rid of a little of that "sourness" I seem to be noticing. I hope I can as I have a looong way to go for it to be used up.

Well, I had to open a new bag of coffee yesterday. Sadly I REALLY wanted to try the Kirkland House Blend in the white with greenish lettering bag (med/dark roast). But, on a trip to my basement cupboard I found a bag of SF Bay FR. I guess I'd bought it when I was squirrelling away (hoarding) coffee due to all the (false) scare news about severe shortages, price spikes to $20 lb and so on.
IDK how long that bag was down there, unnoticed until I went to look for some pasta. I'd stashed it where I normally stashed dried pasta. So, IDK how old it is other than the expiration date was last month :( It's not terrible tasting but it's certainly not all that good.
One thing I have noticed about coffee that is not good to begin with or has gone south due to age, is the deficiencies really come out when used in a drip machine, and tend to not be so bad when used for espresso. Because yesterday I pulled a shot with it and it was not bad so I thought I "dodged a bullet".
Guess I will have to experiment with the Breville and see if I can get rid of a little of that "sourness" I seem to be noticing. I hope I can as I have a looong way to go for it to be used up.
I'm far from being a coffee expert but the obvious to me is: the better coffee beans have a roasted on date stamp, the decent/ good beans have a use by date, the not so good beans have no date.

Back