Coffee Beans what's in your grinder ???

Local Costco has nothing as exotic as these. Wish they did.
I mixed the beans my daughter gave us in with the Starbucks Organic Winter blend...which also seems to have a bit of chaff in the bag. And the "charity benefit" beans...not even a roasted on date on the bag. But it's a decent brew. SF Bay Coffee Company French Roast on deck.
I have not tried the SF Bay in the Breville yet. I was getting a little disappointed with it in the Moccamaster but I think that was more due to the uneven water distribution issue with it. As I honestly never really had the time to really experiment with it in re to grind size, manual bloom time (in the MM), and so on. Lately my wife has been using the little glass pot coffee maker suited for only a cup or two we got from my dad along with a small can of Folgers) she's

Not in my grinder yet, but just roasted up 1/2 lb each of Costa Rican (Zacero Monte Brisas) and Guatemalan (Antigua Pavon) beans. Both of these should do nicely for both espresso and in the MM. :)

CR
1703113700530.jpeg

GUA
1703113718915.jpeg

Been busy here, so while waiting on these to rest a few days, what is actually in my grinder is Peet's Major Dickason, which I have been picking up at Costco recently in large bags. They are mostly 4 weeks from roast date, which isn't too bad....

R

Two I picked up recently....one decaf for afternoon and after dinner cups.

The third one our son brought out with him from a local Toronto roaster...it's got amazing berry tones and is really enjoyable (if you like light roasts).

1703117014869.png 1703117139519.png

I have not tried the SF Bay in the Breville yet. I was getting a little disappointed with it in the Moccamaster but I think that was more due to the uneven water distribution issue with it. As I honestly never really had the time to really experiment with it in re to grind size, manual bloom time (in the MM), and so on. Lately my wife has been using the little glass pot coffee maker suited for only a cup or two we got from my dad along with a small can of Folgers) she's
Costco has the SF Bay French Roast on sale thru the 24th for $5.00 off..

Best cup I've ever had in my life was in San Francisco - mission district. Place called Philz Coffee.

I was completely blown away. That cup was a life changing event.

Note the technique - fresh ground, then brewing starts within 12 secs. Hot water poured from high above and allowed to splash down, creating turmoil, then gentle stirring. Then the coffee brews quietly. Each cup is made individually and independently including cream and sugar added by the barista per the customer's specs.

I've been doing direct pour at home ever since that day. I try to mimic the Philz technique. My coffee is very good. Wife agrees.

Our go-to is Mayorga coffee which is roasted locally in Rockville, Maryland. Right now we're drinking their Winter Blend which is perfect in December.

Mayorga is sold in the local Costco too.

My Dad in Seattle also gets Mayorga shipped from Maryland.

If we have to use another coffee from the grocery, we use Starbucks Sumatra whole bean.

We use the Hario V60 coffee maker. It's excellent - better than French press, better than Chemex.

Ordered 2 lbs of Kona for my wife for Christmas (don't tell!).

Hey speaking of the beans in the grinder. I have a nice air tight container I pour my bag of beans into. Then transfer some to a smaller (Glad IIRC) air tight container for the daily grind. But Just wondering. If you may want to experiment with brands and types in between, has anyone used their vacuum sealer to seal up a larger quantity (say half the bag) and store that while trying another type/brand? And if so how did you store the vacuum sealed bag? Fridge, freezer, room temp in a cabinet, etc?
I have a variety of beans and roasts and I would love to play around but it takes while to run through 2# to 3# of beans. Also I am thinking sealing it up into bags would keep it fresher than the airtight lidded containers

Went to Costco yesterday. They had a decent selection...SF Bay Coffee Company FR, Kirkland Signature French Roast, Peets Major Dickasons, Ruta Maya, Starbucks French Roast, Kirkland Colombian Supremo...I settled on Starbucks French Roast...it was $8.00 off of $21 for 2.5 lbs.
It might end up as a gift though.

Hey speaking of the beans in the grinder. I have a nice air tight container I pour my bag of beans into. Then transfer some to a smaller (Glad IIRC) air tight container for the daily grind. But Just wondering. If you may want to experiment with brands and types in between, has anyone used their vacuum sealer to seal up a larger quantity (say half the bag) and store that while trying another type/brand? And if so how did you store the vacuum sealed bag? Fridge, freezer, room temp in a cabinet, etc?
I have a variety of beans and roasts and I would love to play around but it takes while to run through 2# to 3# of beans. Also I am thinking sealing it up into bags would keep it fresher than the airtight lidded containers
That's pretty much what I do.
I pour the beans that I'll be using near-term into a 1.1L Rubbermaid Brilliance container. They're airtight.
I vacuum seal the rest of the beans and leave 'em in the pantry.
When the Rubbermaid container gets low, I re-fill it from the vacuum bag and then re-seal. I only drink one 14 oz mug a day,(and the Missus doesn't drink coffee), so you may want to consider a larger container if you go this route.

When I seal them, I spread the beans out and the sealed pack stays flat so it's easier to store. The bag fits in between stuff in the pantry kinda/sorta like a book on a shelf.

That's pretty much what I do.
I pour the beans that I'll be using near-term into a 1.1L Rubbermaid Brilliance container. They're airtight.
I vacuum seal the rest of the beans and leave 'em in the pantry.
When the Rubbermaid container gets low, I re-fill it from the vacuum bag and then re-seal. I only drink one 14 oz mug a day,(and the Missus doesn't drink coffee), so you may want to consider a larger container if you go this route.

When I seal them, I spread the beans out and the sealed pack stays flat so it's easier to store. The bag fits in between stuff in the pantry kinda/sorta like a book on a shelf.
Thanks for the tips! I may just give this a try. Though not sure what kind of broomstick the boss rode in on last night. But, I felt like I was going through the Spanish Inquisition. All that was missing was the torture chambers. One of the VERY vocal complaints was the how expensive the vacuum sealing bags were. Which are FAR and away cheaper than ziploc bags, or even the elcheapo Walmart crap twist tie ones she buys.
Was not a peaceful evening mostly over an indecision on my part of freezing/not freezing the brisket hunks for XMas Day, among other things. Ugh.

Thanks for the tips! I may just give this a try. Though not sure what kind of broomstick the boss rode in on last night. But, I felt like I was going through the Spanish Inquisition. All that was missing was the torture chambers. One of the VERY vocal complaints was the how expensive the vacuum sealing bags were. Which are FAR and away cheaper than ziploc bags, or even the elcheapo Walmart crap twist tie ones she buys.
Was not a peaceful evening mostly over an indecision on my part of freezing/not freezing the brisket hunks for XMas Day, among other things. Ugh.
No problem and we've all been there!

Pretty cool. But, if the boss is complaining about the expense of maybe $.05 for a bag, I can only imagine the thrashing I would get buying these contaners

Went to Costco yesterday. They had a decent selection...SF Bay Coffee Company FR, Kirkland Signature French Roast, Peets Major Dickasons, Ruta Maya, Starbucks French Roast, Kirkland Colombian Supremo...I settled on Starbucks French Roast...it was $8.00 off of $21 for 2.5 lbs.
It might end up as a gift though.
I tried Kirkland FR and SF Bay FR and will not be buying either in the future.

I like the Starbucks over both.

I tried Kirkland FR and SF Bay FR and will not be buying either in the future.

I like the Starbucks over both.
Fair analysis. The Kirkland FR is super inexpensive...I guess you get what you pay for.
You might be right about the SF Bay... jury is still out here. I'll consider your opinion as I grind through the next bag.

I bought Kirkland FR once. Honestly no matter how I ground it or brewed it with the MM it just left me "meh". The SF Bay was pretty good stuff. Sadly during the chaos of well you know (I don't want to be censured) I loaded up on it. And I stashed some and totally forgot I had it. By the time I found it, well let's just say it was "matured". The beans were dried out and not at all glossy, most of the aromatic qualities gone. But I used those last 2 or 3 bags.
It's on sale again. So I bought one bag. So I have 2 or 3 bags of nice coffee up here ranging from med roast to a med dark to now with the SF Bay, quite dark. So far I am really enjoying the aromatic and chocolaty of the Magnum Organic Sumatra coffee. Even though labeled as "dark" I find it leans more to a medium than truly dark. I am REALLY curious to see a couple things about the SF Bay. Which I think will be opened next. That is how it performs at various settings in the Breville (which for just turn it on and go) brewing is doing a very nice job. Yeah, there are settings I can "play" with but I don't have to babysit the thing trying to make sure the whole bed of grinds is whetted, I can select "Gold, My Brew, or anything else and simply get my AM routine done while it's pump hums quietly along getting the job done

Hey for those of us who buy whole beans have you noticed some of the bags seem to have an enormous amount of "chaff" in the bag? If so how to you all get rid of it? The stuff drives me nuts.

Hey for those of us who buy whole beans have you noticed some of the bags seem to have an enormous amount of "chaff" in the bag? If so how to you all get rid of it? The stuff drives me nuts.
I don't see enormous amounts at all...not of the stuff I've bought lately anyway.
The Starbucks Winter blend had the most. I just grind it as usual and I clean it out of the grinder 1-2 times per week with the vacuum. No problem.

Back