Code??

Mark Sitzer

I have just about finished my rehab of my weber genesis 1000 red head. I could not locate any serial number or date code which lends me to believe it may be a 1993. It has a durawood handle but real wood slats on the shelves (someone said this model was specifically for home depot). It also has cast iron grates. I found a code or model number on the inside lid.
Any help with year would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20201022_163413.jpg
    20201022_163413.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20201022_163406.jpg
    20201022_163406.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20201010_204523.jpg
    20201010_204523.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 13
Did you switch the whole grill over to durawood or is that gray painted wood for the shelves?

I think the cook box, outside on the bottom might have a date of manufacture marking. Not sure though.

That code on the inside of the endcaps won't help you as far as I know. I have a 1993 and it was wood. I don't remember it had wood shelves on the bottom or a wire rack. It has a wire rack now, but might have had nothing or wood when I picked it up. I can't remember. I do know that it did NOT have the slider for the swing shelf on the left side. I cannot see on your picture if you have one.

Yah, that is it. That would be the year of manufacture of the cook box. The problem is, that cook box style was used for many years, however, from what I have seen, they typically use up their stock of cook boxes fairly fast and most of them are within a year or two of the actual grill production date. I would guess the grill that cook box originally came with was pre 1990. But that would likely make it a Genesis 1-5.
You might actually have a true frankengrill there with parts from at least two different grills judging from the fact that you have a durawood handle and wood shelves.
I can't tell from your photo, but does that grill have caster wheels on the left side?

Chris you are right. The problem is that you cannot see half of them. I am not sure exactly how they indicate the month, but I think they leave one of the dots off out of the 12 and that is the manufacture month. But the year is close enough for this discussion.

Chris, that might be it. It would explain the missing dots which I assumed had burned/worn away. I am with you on that.

From http://www.terminator-cobra.com/castings.htm

These are date codes from Ford engine head castings.

"I've never been able to get a straight answer regarding the round date stamps, but you may notice the digits are surrounded by twelve small blocks. It would seem intuitive that they would correspond to the months in each year by simply counting the dots that are placed there. Above and to the left, there are seven dots surrounding the "03", so that head was probably cast in July. To its right, the "08" has just two dots - most likely meaning it was produced in February of that year."

Heads DB 04.jpg
Heads DC 05 FRPP.jpg

Did you switch the whole grill over to durawood or is that gray painted wood for the shelves?

I think the cook box, outside on the bottom might have a date of manufacture marking. Not sure though.

That code on the inside of the endcaps won't help you as far as I know. I have a 1993 and it was wood. I don't remember it had wood shelves on the bottom or a wire rack. It has a wire rack now, but might have had nothing or wood when I picked it up. I can't remember. I do know that it did NOT have the slider for the swing shelf on the left side. I cannot see on your picture if you have one.
Thanks I will look for that!
The slats are real wood, the handle is durawood.

Back