Cocktail Sauce

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
OH!!!!! Just found a goody for the next time I have SHRIMP!!!!

Cocktail Sauce

1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup prepared horseradish
1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

Whisk together.

Source: Cook's Illustrated-March-April 2023

OH!!!!! Just found a goody for the next time I have SHRIMP!!!!

Cocktail Sauce

1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup prepared horseradish
1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

Whisk together.

Source: Cook's Illustrated-March-April 2023
As a Marylander,(and if you've never made it), I suggest using those measurements as a baseline. With the exception of cayenne, I used most of those in mine, but to taste. The wildcard is the horseradish. It varies a lot in heat so I suggest adding, tasting, adding, etc.

A lot of folks around my neck of the woods use *chili sauce, instead of ketchup, or a 50/50 combo of each. My "secret" ingredient is brown sugar. I'll whisk a little in...not sure of the exact amount, because I make it so often, so I don't measure. I've never used cayenne, but I do add a couple dashes of Tabasco.

Good luck!

*the good stuff, like Heinz...not store brand...there is a difference

Truth be told, I would (depending on how the shrimp is cooked) rather use melted butter or tartar sauce.

But, if I did use this, I would leave out the cayenne. There would be enough "hot stuff" in the Old Bay for me.

I remember when I was a young adult, I just mixed together ketchup and horseradish and thought that was cocktail sauce. In fact, when I'm feeling lazy, that's all I do.

For store bought, I love St. Elmo's cocktail sauce. It's got a LOT of horseradish if I recall correctly, which is why I enjoy it.

As a Marylander,(and if you've never made it), I suggest using those measurements as a baseline. With the exception of cayenne, I used most of those in mine, but to taste. The wildcard is the horseradish. It varies a lot in heat so I suggest adding, tasting, adding, etc.

A lot of folks around my neck of the woods use *chili sauce, instead of ketchup, or a 50/50 combo of each. My "secret" ingredient is brown sugar. I'll whisk a little in...not sure of the exact amount, because I make it so often, so I don't measure. I've never used cayenne, but I do add a couple dashes of Tabasco.

Good luck!

*the good stuff, like Heinz...not store brand...there is a difference
Thanks for your take on cocktail sauce. I followed your suggestions... pretty darn good 👍

Back